wifi module choice

sashabusse

Joined Apr 3, 2020
hello, my target is video(at least 480p at 30 fps) streaming point to point and i think that 802.11(probably wifi direct) is the most appropriate for this purpose (cause of speed), so i wonder is there something else than esp32 (and is it capable of such a thing if you know), cause it was the only thing that i found googlig. I am a beginner in designing such a hardware so I'll be glad if you put some links below for learning. Thanks.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can start with a Google of "WiFi Modules" there are plenty out there other than the ESP32 ans ESP8266 flavors which are very popular. I suggest a module because most of the work is done for you and I suggest a module with a common IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which will allow you to easily interface with your module and write software for it. I also suggest you buy from a reputable source / distributor. Choose something with plenty of code samples available online, that will help make your life easier. It sounds like your goal is live streaming video over WiFi so also consider your network router, you want to consider "Max Throughput" of the router for the network. Names like Netgear come to mind.

Considering some of the above there are likely off the shelf turn key systems available to do what you want to do. As to a WiFi module with good support and available code samples The Arduino Uno REV 2 has on board WiFi and great support. Note I linked to a REV 2 and not REV 3 which does not have WiFi support on board. Just make sure it will do what you want it to do before you buy as it is not among the lower priced flavors out there. I have never used it for video streaming.

Ron

sashabusse

Joined Apr 3, 2020
thanks for reply, now I'll stick with esp32 cause easy to start, big community and greate price (arduino uno rev 2 is still esp based and for it's prise i cant see any advantages). After some additional research also found some other modules (like cc32xx and redpine signals rs9113 that seem interesting, but have much greater price and are not so easy available for diy in russia.
one more thing that i found is that wifi direct is probably the right thing for me cause i need only point to point connection without tcp/ip stack. so thanks and i'll be glad if you have any additional info on video streaming wifi modules and other related things