Wide beam ultrasound sensor

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Hey. I am looking for a photoelectric or ultrasound sensor with a very wide beam. I need to detect a human hand presence withing short range and I need the beam to be as wide as possible.

I know that light curtain sensors would be best for this application but we are not able to use those due to price and ergonomical issues.

InkedULTRASOUND_LI.jpg
Adding just a quick sketch hopefully you understand what I mean.
The price range ideally <200$ per sensor

Attachments

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
The closest that I have managed to get with my findings is the following sensor:
https://www.bannerengineering.com/us/en/products/part.61669.html
with the charasteristics:
1606909551705.png

However, I am not fully understanding the working principle behind these sensors. How do I place the emmiter/receiver pair? Does it matter what distance I place the sensors as long as they are within their working range (3 meters).

If place the emmiter sensor and emmiter pair facing each other with 1 meter gap between each other, they should cover 200mm range right?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Obstacle detectors sometimes use two or more sensors. Properly aligned (depending on the device's pattern), you could get pretty good coverage.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
How about using a curved reflector to direct incident light from a wide angle on to a single photo-detector?

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Obstacle detectors sometimes use two or more sensors. Properly aligned (depending on the device's pattern), you could get pretty good coverage.
Yes if I find no other choise, I might have to try and allign 2 of the sensors that I have previously shown (QS18 from banner) to get the coverage that I need,

In that case, is it better to use 2 pairs of both emmiters/receivers or just 2 emmiters/single receiver or vice versa?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
have you considered multiple sensors ?
opto are very cheap , you could afford 4 I'd guess.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Could you please elaborate on that a little bit? Maybe you have a particular example in mind?
I visualise something resembling a concave parabolic reflector with the sensor at or near the focus, though the curvature might need to be modified to suit a narrow-beam sensor.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Using the standard pyroelectric sensor that goes in PIR sensors, you can get a variety of lenses for different pickup angles.