Why your username?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Looking at some of the members names here at AAC made me think - why do they call themselves that? Is it just a random name selected at registration or is there a deeper story behind the cryptic name?

So share your tale of why your username?

I'll go first......if you can't guess you shouldn't be using a computer! :D

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Well, it's either that I've been there and done that (got in the biz in the 1960's), or else my real name is embarassing & I hate to hear people giggling when they look at me.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
My user name is nothing fancy. The first three letters are my initials (first,middle,last) and the last two letters are the standard abbreviation for junior.

hgmjr

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In the phonetic alphabet, Papa and Bravo are the words for the letters P and B, which are the last two letters of my callsign.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
As a child I had three favorite toys. "Erector Set" and "Leggo Block" don't have the same sex appeal as user names. The "3" is because I wasn't the first or second person to realise how sexy it is to make things.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think the Erector Set is called "Mechano" over there in the UK. IIRC it was invented in the Land of Hope and Glory.
I know Mechano well - it was every young boys geek toy!! I wasn't aware that it was a British invention, but then I am not surprised given the mechanical nature of it. The modern PC-groupies in Britain would have a field day with the name "Erector Set"!

Dave

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
I chose mine because of my work. I'm a very, very lucky individual. (Although some would say a crazy individual...) Since my teen years I've held electrical positions that involved everything from flashlight batteries to lightning bolts.
I get to "play" with everything from steam driven generators that provide hundreds of megawatts of energy, to large transmission lines and three phase transformers with ratings up to 1000 MVA. Because all of this equipment is tied ultimately to switchyards and electrical power substations, I'm a substation tech.