Why the World’s Best Mathematicians Are Hoarding Chalk

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Chemists too. My mentor had a chalk board in his office that had not been erased for at least 6 years. Lot's of stuff there.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I do my best work using a pencil and paper that isn't going to become extinct technology for many years.

I also remember when the national airline ticketing network went down for about 6 hours last month and the reporters were commenting about how "BIC pens can't crash". ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yeah in the age of technology we have to deal with the shortcomings which can be MANY.
The ones that bother me the most are the thoughtless engineering that seems to come with EVERY device we get these days. There is fault with everything, and we have to put up with updates and bug fixes and code patches and whatnot.

I remember back when i first bought my first electronic think pad like device. It was really just a device where you could store telephone numbers and stuff like that, very simple as it was one of the first. Well, the first thing i did after entering a number or address was to duplicate that on REAL paper with a pen. I knew that one day that thing would freak out and die and i'd be left with a blank page wondering what i put into that thing. Was i wrong? Of course not. It's been long long gone now, havent even thought about it in maybe 20 years!

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
They are buying it all up so the supply gets limited and the price goes up, then they can sell and make a big profit :)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
They are buying it all up so the supply gets limited and the price goes up, then they can sell and make a big profit :)
The rising price is a signal the the manufacturer(s) that the supply is limited. They increase production to capture more and higher profits. New competitors enter the market to capture their share. Ultimately, price drops as supply exceeds demand -- and everyone gets the chalk they want at the price they want to pay.

The magic of capitalism.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The rising price is a signal the the manufacturer(s) that the supply is limited. They increase production to capture more and higher profits. New competitors enter the market to capture their share. Ultimately, price drops as supply exceeds demand -- and everyone gets the chalk they want at the price they want to pay.

The magic of capitalism.
Hi,

You dont have to take the fun out of everything with cold hard facts :)