Why kids dont use internet ?

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
Think of 30 years back, no Internet, only books and magazines. We found out things hard way. Now everyone having the resources on their fingertips, they end up asking simplest questions online to which Google finds answers in 0.2 seconds.

......(Why am I asking this question when Google can find the answer in 0.2secons, or can it?)

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Or go back to the early days of Netscape. Type in a keyword and get then of thousands of URLs and maybe you will eventually find one vaguely related to what you are looking for.

Agreed, Google served the answers best for them on top but the helped search engines become more efficient.

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
The thread points to people who have the source in front of their nose but can't or will not use it. They still ask questions like "how far is the sun from earth?". Is this because of what?, the generation who doesn't know how to slice a bread or boil potatoes?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Google is responsible for 75% of the things that other people think I know. I am just old (young) enough to have experienced a few early chapters of life prior to the internet (or at least the proliferation of the internet, and later google), to appreciate it. I would not like to go back 30 years. I think if kids would be challenged in school to do research with digital training wheels removed, they would have better appreciation for the resources of the internet. (Or maybe they would just ask more stupid questions)

All these points made here all basically say the same thing; young people have little patience, they are the now generation, I'm too busy, my time is more valuable than yours, I don't have time to read that, just give me a brief synopsis etc.etc..they have it too easy.

Maybe they are not entirely to blame though, they are victims of our material success in mass production, globalisation, economy of scale and the throwaway world we live in, use it until a better faster flashier one comes along, cunning manufacturers who set the life of items both in physical and trend terms. They are constantly bombarded through media with superficial rubbish, hype and spin, instilled from a young age with grandiose expectations of the life they will have ahead of them, and when these expectations are not realised they are deflated and turn to short term gratification methods. They realise the emperor has no clothes too late.

We as a family visited and stayed with my Grandmother twice a year, on arrival she would give each of her grandchildren five english pounds, this was your spending money for your holiday, you knew not to ask for more, she was teaching us to budget in her own quiet way, she lived through two wars, tough as pig iron.

In my youth I liked photography, I had a 35mm SLR camera, you had a very limited number of shots per roll, when exposed the film had to be posted to a lab far away to be developed and printed and posted back to you. It was expensive and slow. But I knew one thing every time I went to take a picture, I had to be careful, I had to get the exposure correct, and the composition right. I had no idea how it would turn out until it came back from the lab, but there was a certain magic in the waiting and the anticipation, hard to explain, the same magic years later when I started unrolling my first roll of black and white film from the development tank, nowadays the camera and the lab is in your pocket. My camera thought you patience, I had to read books and study it, ask for advice, the ideology today is just take 100 pictures and select a few and delete the rest.

I'm always amazed when I look at a certain website that sells used electronics, at the questions asked by prospective buyers about something, when the answer is clearly there in the listing if they would maybe just take a moment to actually read it.

Indulge me a bit more, I was once selling a car, a young lad was interested and said he would view it on a Saturday, my day off. I waited most of the day for him; no show, I rang him he answered, he said his car broke down earlier, I said "did your phone also break down?", he hung up.

I was telling my nephew one day, that there was time long long ago when there was no mobile phones, if you were away from your home you had to go into a big box on the street, put in magic coins made by leprechauns make a lot of precise coded circles with your finger push a big button and hopefully it would enable you to talk to your friend and sometimes if your were ringing somebody far away you had to have a small sack of coins and employ the services of a phone technician called an operator who would connect large bundles of high tension cables together and engage relays followed by magic spells praising the phone gods to allow the connection to be made, and sometimes the quality of the wire was very old and thin and you would have unknown people even of an unknown language joining in on your conversation, needless to say he thought I was making it all up, the stuff of communication folklore. I was going to take it further and tell him about the piece of wood with lead in the middle and paper and envelopes and stamps and the movement of mail through the various stages, but even I laugh at that now.

When you're young you think you know everything, and there is nothing worth learning, the more I age, the more I realise how little I know.

The world is changing folks, and sometimes we don't stop and take a look at the bigger picture, with every modern advance their is a price to pay, we loose something and often you have to look hard to see it.

Last edited:

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
All these points made here all basically say the same thing; young people have little patience, they are the now generation, I'm too busy, my time is more valuable than yours, I don't have time to read that, just give me a brief synopsis etc.etc..they have it too easy.

Maybe they are not entirely to blame though, they are victims of our material success in mass production, globalisation, economy of scale and the throwaway world we live in, use it until a better faster flashier one comes along, cunning manufacturers who set the life of items both in physical and trend terms. They are constantly bombarded through media with superficial rubbish, hype and spin, instilled from a young age with grandiose expectations of the life they will have ahead of them, and when these expectations are not realised they are deflated and turn to short term gratification methods. They realise the emperor has no clothes too late.

We as a family visited and stayed with my Grandmother twice a year, on arrival she would give each of her grandchildren five english pounds, this was your spending money for your holiday, you knew not to ask for more, she was teaching us to budget in her own quiet way, she lived through two wars, tough as pig iron.

In my youth I liked photography, I had a 35mm SLR camera, you had a very limited number of shots per roll, when exposed the film had to be posted to a lab far away to be developed and printed and posted back to you. It was expensive and slow. But I knew one thing every time I went to take a picture, I had to be careful, I had to get the exposure correct, and the composition right. I had no idea how it would turn out until it came back from the lab, but there was a certain magic in the waiting and the anticipation, hard to explain, the same magic years later when I started unrolling my first roll of black and white film from the development tank, nowadays the camera and the lab is in your pocket. My camera thought you patience, I had to read books and study it, ask for advice, the ideology today is just take 100 pictures and select a few and delete the rest.

I'm always amazed when I look at a certain website that sells used electronics, at the questions asked by prospective buyers about something, when the answer is clearly there in the listing if they would maybe just take a moment to actually read it.

Indulge me a bit more, I was once selling a car, a young lad was interested and said he would view it on a Saturday, my day off. I waited most of the day for him; no show, I rang him he answered, he said his car broke down earlier, I said did your phone also break down, he hung up.

I was telling my nephew one day, that there was time long long ago when there was no mobile phones, if you were away from your home you had to go into a big box on the street, put in magic coins made by leprechauns make a lot of precise coded circles with your finger push a big button and hopefully it would enable you to talk to your friend and sometimes if your were ringing somebody far away you had to have a small sack of coins and employ the services of a phone technician called an operator who would connect large bundles of high tension cables together and engage relays followed by magic spells praising the phone gods to allow the connection to be made, and sometimes the quality of the wire was very old and thin and you would have unknown people even of an unknown language joining in on your conversation, needless to say he thought I was making it all up, the stuff of communication folklore. I was going to take it further and tell him about the piece of wood with lead in the middle and paper and envelopes and stamps and the movement of mail through the various stages, but even I laugh at that now.

When you're young you think you know everything, and there is nothing worth learning, the more I age, the more I realise how little I know.

The world is changing folks, and sometimes we don't stop and take a look at the bigger picture, with every modern advance their is a price to pay, we loose something and often you have to look hard to see it.

True stories, Internet is so filled with stuff that you hardly can find things WITHOUT any information.
Kids know how to play games, find stupid stuff to waste time, but real information, it appears to be very different story, its not interesting enough, it doesn't give you instant pleasure and good "vibes". So better throw the uncomfortable stuff to others to do the job for me. Guy asked how to configure Arduino pins... one single Google search gave me the answer but he was just too lazy to even try. How the MOSFET load switch should be done, again, single Google search gave me 100+ nearly equal schematics, many of them with accurate explanations how the circuit works, just no effort to use few moments to search what is MOSFET and how does it even work. Just give me ready made circuit, tested, with layout, and please can you also simulate and give me the results.
Maybe I'm polarised with certain types of people, sure there is another side too, those who dont appear on sites like this, who actually dig deep to find things out, try and burn their fingers, just like we "old farts" did back in the day when Internet did not exist.