Why does LTSpice do pesudo-trans. analysis when I change OP-AMP ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I have an integrator circuit that seemed to work ok with a u741, it doesn't run psuedo-trans. analysis, and I can run the sim for 20ms no problem with the PWL files I made.

So tried a TL072 just for kicks, and it has to run the psuedo-trans. analysis, that never seems to finish, so I hit esc, and right away it crashes with time step too small error. The TL072 is probably a model I DLed, from the recommended sources (if it's not included already).

I tried a LT1013, same problem as the TL072. So what's that mean ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just for the sake of clarity, can you tell me what you mean by a pseudo-trans analysis?
Post the ASC file, I'm curious as to the effect you are describing.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
1st it says 'stepping source', then is does 'Pseudo-transient analysis', I gather related to finding initial conditions, and often just a poor circuit.
This is a chopped up version of a circuit I shall not name, the PWL files aren't perfectly synced, but the u741sim would run normal enough, so what changes so much with the other 2 op-amps, that it breaks the sim (of a circuit I cut stuff out of it to see what happens), but nevermind that, I'm just wondering in general?

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This design is a hot mess and won't simulate at all due to a missing model for PN5434. You still have not clarified the meaning of a pseudo-transient analysis. I'm asking you: "what do you think it means?"

EDIT: Never mind I found it and it is looking for an initial operating point. My guess as to your problem is that the 741 is old and slow and is not causing a problem, whereas the faster more modern opamps are quite sensitive to the initial conditions and won't do well given the number of components and nodes that you have. If you want a suggestion you should add circuitry that holds all voltage levels constant at prescribed values until after a RESET signal is released.

Last edited: