Why discussion about 'LEDs in mains' is restricted here in AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi all,
I recently found in user agreements of the forum that discussion about LEDs in mains is restricted. Interesting! But why?

Explodes? Catch fire? Harmful? Kills? Shorts? Maybe yes.

But also many low value capacitors, transistors, resistors, inductors also Explodes, Catch fire, Harmful, Kills, Shorts in mains. Also a LED in 12V burns (without current limiting), not only in mains.

So being interested in the purpose of the rule?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are several Threads about, "Why". Look them up searching for TOS. It all boils down to: This is a privately owned site. The owners can make any rule they want.

On the practical side, it isn't safe, especially for beginners, which is a large part of the participants.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I too often shake my head at this topic as well.

We can't discuss how to make a transformerless power supply to power a LED directly from the main but we can openly discuss how modify microwave oven transformers neon sign transformers AC and DC generators/alternators, automotive ignition coils line powered switchmode power supplies and whatnot to do other things without the least bit of concern that some unknowing dim wit might read the discussions and decide to findoneof those devices and play with it without any real understanding of what potential danger they are dealing with. :rolleyes:

Line voltage + capacitor + diode + LED = death

but,

Line voltage +mystery multi hundred plus VA step up transformer rewound by an inexperienced hand to do who knows what = meh, who cares? It's secondary is probably isolated so it's fine!

yep seems pretty logically thought out. :confused:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I too often shake my head at this topic as well.
...yep seems pretty logically thought out. :confused:
My view of it: The rules to cover every dangerous scenario haven't been written, and the mods can (must) make a judgment on each thread. But noobs playing with LEDs and mains is so common, and ill-advised, that a rule was written to cover all of those in one pass. It's not that it is so much more dangerous than other topics, just so frequent that it justified its own rule.

I figured the old automotive ban was the same kind of thing: It was easier to just ban anything automotive than to wrestle with each topic as it came along. So we couldn't talk about replacing a dome light but wiring a whole-house, grid-tied generator was fair game.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As others have stated:

1) The owners make the rules.
2) This is a common topic.
3) It is a topic dominated by raw newbies.

Furthermore, it (and transformerless power supplies in general) is particularly dangerous for newbies because they tend to think that they are working with low voltages when the potential for getting tangled with high voltages is very real. With many of the other types of circuits mentioned, the high voltages are there, but the people working with them are aware that they are there and that they are working with a high-voltage circuit.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
It is due to leeches. Sorry, -lawyers- lurking on who to $ue if something happens to a member goofing with potentially dangerous projects/instructions found at this forum. And as said, decision from owners well entitled to rule the place.

I recently goofed posting a related topic and recognize/accept my error here. After an entire life into electronics, will just do it as I already did and will not report my experiences for anyone to learn :(

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Anyone who knows how to connect LEDs to mains doesn't need help. Anybody that does need help shouldn't be trying this as an experiment.
But anybody that does need help, need to know the result by asking here, so they will be careful in further experiments. Otherwise they want to try once, like me. I am wishing to connect a LED to mains and want to see how big the explosion happens! Because it is the project 'restricted in the forum!' :)

Many more people think in this way, because they are curious in 'restriction about unknown subject'!

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
@Willen this aspect as well as every other aspect mentioned here has been rehashed many timed, but the rule, which was reviewed recently, has not changed.

This is a topic with which other forums can provide support.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
But anybody that does need help, need to know the result by asking here, so they will be careful in further experiments. ................
I do not think that this skill set can be effectively taught online. This is like teaching someone how to safely handle a loaded gun. You need to be shown examples, you need to be watched and instructed real time. When you open up a chassis with exposed line voltages, you are in a lethal environment, but it doesn't look deadly, does it? It just looks like wires you have seen and touched before. With line voltage, you do the wrong thing and at minimum, you will experience great pain, and possibly death.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
But anybody that does need help, need to know the result by asking here,
That is a mistaken belief. You can try electrotechonline. I hear they have different rules. You can Google for other electronics sites.

If you really, really, demand that this site teach beginners how to connect LEDs directly to a wall outlet, start negotiations to buy the site. Click on the, "report" button and a Moderator can arrange a contact between you and the owners.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
LEDs to mains are not going to happen here at AAC for the reasons noted in this and other recent threads on AAC. It is Ok to have AC as a sensed input, power supply or controlled output as those applications convey the risk by their nature. Stringing together a bunch of LEDs that run off of line voltage carries the risk without the warning. Like transformerless power supplies, if you have to ask what the danger is, you are not qualified to be messing with it. The owners of AAC have (wisely IMHO) decided not to entertain such discussions. For that reason, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.