Who is building these skimmers?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Another news clip regarding skimmers. I was shocked at how sophisticated these things are getting.

t is amazing enough the card reader can look exactly like the original. Who is making these fake reader covers? I know with a 3D printer, it is easy enough to make them but who is designing them? They need to be the same color and same shape but still be able to fit over the original undetected.

What is even more amazing, is some go inside things like a gas pump. How can anyone design such a thing without getting access to a pump? And then how does the thief get access to the pump undetected?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Another news clip regarding skimmers. I was shocked at how sophisticated these things are getting.

t is amazing enough the card reader can look exactly like the original. Who is making these fake reader covers? I know with a 3D printer, it is easy enough to make them but who is designing them? They need to be the same color and same shape but still be able to fit over the original undetected.

What is even more amazing, is some go inside things like a gas pump. How can anyone design such a thing without getting access to a pump? And then how does the thief get access to the pump undetected?
Just get your girlfriend to get a job at the BP station as a night clerk. You'll have plenty of time to measure all the dimensions at 2:30am. Or, if you don't have much time, just slap a handful of warm modeling clay on the reader, pull it off carefully and away you go.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just get your girlfriend to get a job at the BP station as a night clerk. You'll have plenty of time to measure all the dimensions at 2:30am. Or, if you don't have much time, just slap a handful of warm modeling clay on the reader, pull it off carefully and away you go.

OK Understood how someone could clone the card slot. What I want to know is how they build a device that works on the inside of the pump. For that, they would need to know something about the circuitry and the protocols involved.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
OK Understood how someone could clone the card slot. What I want to know is how they build a device that works on the inside of the pump. For that, they would need to know something about the circuitry and the protocols involved.
Your take on how this is done is different than mine. The 'skimmer' fits over the OEM slot and the skimmer reads the card info before it gets to the OEM reader doesn't it?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Your take on how this is done is different than mine. The 'skimmer' fits over the OEM slot and the skimmer reads the card info before it gets to the OEM reader doesn't it?

Saw a local news clip where they are putting a device inside the pump. I assume they are not just passing the card through their skimmer like they do with the outside gizmos. I don't see how that could be done. They would need to tap into the communication between the reader and the computer. The piece went on to say that they have a Blue Tooth device so they don't need to open the pump once the device is in place.

Found the video. Internal type discussion starts around 1:10.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/08/11/cellphone-bluetooth-credit-card-skimmers/