Who else has websites?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Who all on here has personal websites, and would any of you be willing to link to mine?
I would be more than willing to return the favor. Here's a screenshot of what the site's going to look like, any questions, comments, or concerns?

(and does anyone have any better ideas for the name?)

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Magnet,

You have good contrast and everything was readable.

Embedding the videos from youtube does not add to your bandwidth.

The name is the hardest one to decide. For you to move up in the search engines, there is the relevent question ... does the name match the site? The Solder-Blob may or may not bring the visions of the diversity of projects you plan on displaying.

Are you planning on purchasing the name or just be a sub-domain of one of the free services out there? If it's just for a hobby, the name decision and purchase depends on whether or not you want your visitors to be greeted with advertisements.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

http://www.usability.gov/guidelines/index.html has some ... well more than some ... information on webdesign and usuablility. Leave it to the government for an overabundence of data concerning web design.

http://credibility.stanford.edu/guidelines/index.html will have hints on increasing your credibility.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm thinking about starting one on google sites. Really easy to do, and doesn't cost you for the url. Just thought I'd throw that out there-- sites.google.com. You'll need a gmail account to sign in, but you don't have to use it :D
Der Strom

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
your site name would be sites.google.com/site/yoursitename

True, you wouldn't buy a domain name, but your tied to google's terms of service, including displaying whatever advertising they want. I haven't read the full term of use, but I would ensure you retain all digital rights to the material and graphics.

It looks like you could have one up and running quickly at google though.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Magnet,

You have good contrast and everything was readable.

Embedding the videos from youtube does not add to your bandwidth.

The name is the hardest one to decide. For you to move up in the search engines, there is the relevent question ... does the name match the site? The Solder-Blob may or may not bring the visions of the diversity of projects you plan on displaying.

Are you planning on purchasing the name or just be a sub-domain of one of the free services out there? If it's just for a hobby, the name decision and purchase depends on whether or not you want your visitors to be greeted with advertisements.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

http://www.usability.gov/guidelines/index.html has some ... well more than some ... information on webdesign and usuablility. Leave it to the government for an overabundence of data concerning web design.

http://credibility.stanford.edu/guidelines/index.html will have hints on increasing your credibility.
Thanks for the feedback and tips, I was planning on using an add free hosting server (freehostia.com) and purchasing a domain for $10/yr. Just need to get around to doing it.

I thought about going the google route, but wanted my own domain, and wanted to make sure there weren't any ad's.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
What the need for all the new sites,this is a proven site with no problems.
Why spread the questions to so many sites,Is this a personal desire to see
how many people you can have to click on your site.Its a numbers game to
atract attention.You have to have a steady flow of Information to draw viewers.
Show me a link that you would called sucessfull in this area of interest.
This an open question for discussion on starting sites and opinions.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Mark, That would be great!
Do you want me to link to you as well?

Also, thanks for the link to Roman-Blacks site, I'd been there but forgotten about it :p

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes please, maybe one day I'll get up to 200 visitors a month!
Let me know the address when you decide on it.
It took about 6 weeks from when I submitted my address to Google until my page was searchable, not really sure why that is, it's not like they have an actual person checking the sites.