which wires do i want, pls?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
The TS's post:
shoprider allrounder #889ersf want to connect into 12v tail lights to operate cctv rear view camera when lights on.

It is quite clear which lights the TS's is referring too, if you take the trouble to read the post.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Perhaps that is clear to YOU, EG, but I take that to mean the collective of ALL the rear lights, Stop, running, backup, turn signal, and license plate.
NORMALLY a rear-view camera is on with the backup lights. If the TS wants the camera on for a rear view whenever the running (tail) lights are on, that would be unusual. Hence my comment.

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Tail light definition:
Conspicuity for the rear of a vehicle is provided by rear position lamps (also called tail lamps or tail lights).

No mention in his query of:
Stop, running, backup, turn signal, and license plate.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ones I have fitted just require hooking into the back up light circuit, the only time you require the rear camera is when you are reversing???

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would connect to the headlights so my camera can show me where I've been at night.

Seriously Max called it correctly. A rear view camera also called a backup camera is connected to the backup lights. This is not a complicated question.

Normally the destructions err rather instructions are included along with with the product but here is a step by step guide. Any required hardware should also be included.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
License plate lamps can be a good source of 12V.
But only when the lights are on. Oh, wait - isn't that what the TS said? When the lights are on? I would assume off the cuff that a rear looking camera "when the lights are on" would mean at night, when lights are typically on. However, a rear view camera who's purpose is as yet undefined, would only operate when said "lights" are on. What lights? Backup lights? Parking lights (which include license plate lights)? Brake lights? Anti-Collision lights?

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That is what I had thought, as well. Backup lights is the circuit. And amazinly enough, quite a few people also back up their cars in the daylight. And my OEM backup monitor displays the view in the daytime as well as in the dark. AND, amazingly, my backup lights come on when I shift into reverse, day or night.
Now here is an off-topic question: Do backup cameras generally deliver NTSC video? Or some other format??

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That is what I had thought, as well. Backup lights is the circuit. And amazinly enough, quite a few people also back up their cars in the daylight. And my OEM backup monitor displays the view in the daytime as well as in the dark. AND, amazingly, my backup lights come on when I shift into reverse, day or night.
Now here is an off-topic question: Do backup cameras generally deliver NTSC video? Or some other format??
Good question. My read is depending on make and model the video format varies. They also come in wired and wireless versions. Maybe 10 years ago I bought a lightly used Yukon Denali from a co-worker for my wife. It had an aftermarket backup camera installed. Pretty sure it was bluetooth wireless because the range was short but apparently many home video monitoring systems used what it used. I could be at a traffic light or stop sign and the monitor would come to life displaying all sorts of stuff. Looking at video formats I believe most wireless use a SD (Standard Definition) format (720 x 480). While we never really used it, it was pretty interesting. Hopefully someone else knows more as to video format. Newer units maybe HD 1080P?

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Good question. My read is depending on make and model the video format varies. They also come in wired and wireless versions. Maybe 10 years ago I bought a lightly used Yukon Denali from a co-worker for my wife. It had an aftermarket backup camera installed. Pretty sure it was bluetooth wireless because the range was short but apparently many home video monitoring systems used what it used. I could be at a traffic light or stop sign and the monitor would come to life displaying all sorts of stuff. Looking at video formats I believe most wireless use a SD (Standard Definition) format (720 x 480). While we never really used it, it was pretty interesting. Hopefully someone else knows more as to video format. Newer units maybe HD 1080P?

Ron
OK, and thanks.
This one had a CRT display that had a fried horizontal defection system. So that was the failed part. The camera is very nice, easy to mount, with a 2 foot cord with a tiny waterproof connector and no mate. So I will need to do something else. It also has a microphone built in, so the connections must be: common negative, +12, video, and Audio. That is the input connections found on the monitor I don't need another backup camera, but a forward looking one that coud pop up about 5 feet above the roof when traffic stalls could be very handy. The popup, tit, and scan control will be an entirely separate system.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The last one i picked up was a Xgody, it includes a 8" LCD screen and a GPS system all in one, If you are in GPS mode, it automatically switches over to back-up camera when putting in reverse.
Also the GPS audio can be transmitted over to the FM car radio.
I forget the price, but quite reasonable.