Which trainer board do you use?

applefat

Joined Oct 12, 2007
I'm looking for a nice student one, with basic features. Some switches, test LEDS, etc. A wave generator would be cool, but I HIGHLY doubt there is any out there in the price range I'm considering ($20-30 or so).

What do you think?

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
I guess you're looking for PICAXE. Just look it in google, they are cheap and they got many kinds of starting kits/boards. And the microcontroller itself is really cheap.
PICAXE is from UK, so if you're from america just look from distributors.

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
I'm looking for a nice student one, with basic features. Some switches, test LEDS, etc. A wave generator would be cool, but I HIGHLY doubt there is any out there in the price range I'm considering ($20-30 or so).

What do you think?
For $20-$30 you would probably have to build one. You could get a blank strip of
solderless breadboard like the Twin Industries TW-E40-1020 and fasten it to a case.
You could add the switches and LEDs to the case with banana jack connections.

If you have a case (or built one out of wood) you may be able to meet your budget.

(* jcl *)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Radio Shack has a "Learning Lab" kit. at $65, it's more than twice what you were considering spending - but it'll take a good while before you run out of things to do with it. Comes with some well-written and easy to understand lab books, as well as components and jumper wires to experiment with.

As someone else on here said, it's almost too nice to be a beginner's board. ;)

applefat

Joined Oct 12, 2007
For $20-$30 you would probably have to build one. You could get a blank strip of
solderless breadboard like the Twin Industries TW-E40-1020 and fasten it to a case.
You could add the switches and LEDs to the case with banana jack connections.

If you have a case (or built one out of wood) you may be able to meet your budget.

(* jcl *)
Ah, interesting idea...;)

zane9000

Joined Mar 16, 2007
...original post deleted...
Sorry, when I posted that I was not all all thinking. I know this isnt the place for that, it was just the end of a very very long day and my judgement went out the window.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Hum hum...Zane, I advice you to change the post. You are using the forum for selling, although I may comprehend that your action is innocent.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I just use a $15 breadboard. I keep a box of wires and basic parts I frequently use (switches, regulaters, LEDs trim pots that fit the holes), and parts for building a clock source or simple amplifer. Sometimes I think about doing some simple strip-board circuits for those basic ciruits, to just plug in as needed, but never get around to it. I kind of like to see everything on the board anyway, kind of helps when I decide to etch a PCB for the circuit.

Nomad

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Zane, i missed your post but from the following one it appears you may know of or sell one for a reasonable price. if thats so, i'm wanting something similar for my son and would welcome the information via pm or email. hmm i haven't fully explored this forum yet, does it have a selling or advertising subtopic? seems to do well on other forums i've seen. thanks.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Usually selling stuff on the forum is a no-no. I think he had one sitting around, and was looking to help out a novice, and clear some space on his workbench. Kind of a tough call for the moderator, but wouldn't expect anything bad to happen in this case. Don't want to encourage selling, the spammers are a royal pain when they sneak in, and I don't think most people would consider buying anything from them anyway.
Nothing wrong with helping out fellow hobbists, but it's best to do it in private messages.

zane9000

Joined Mar 16, 2007
Thats pretty much it. I had some spare stuff I wouldnt mind unloading for cheap if people could put it to good use. It might not be a bad idea to have a vendor forum though for such instances...