Which software for PCB CAD design do you prefer? Which software do you use for your projects?

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
I used ExpressPCB for a long time. But it restricts you to their PCB manufacturing service. I tried others, Eagle, KiCad and DipTrace. But, including generating Gerber files, I found DipTrace the easiest to learn and use.
thanx, that's what i needed to know :)

Still using Eagle 9.6.0 for Linux 64-bit. The latest PCB project is a dual pic32mk processor (shared memory using the PMP port) board for the RIOTOS. Moving a port I did for the pic32mzef to a motor control platform.
in my opinion, E9.x is extremely powerful software, but i had a big headache with E952 when i uploaded a cam job to OSHPark. Their server couldn't read the gerber files correctly. Tech support guy just told me to go back to E942 and eventually they will catch up. Autodesk has done a remarkable job but editing those libraries is still confusing as hell.
thanx

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
thanx, that's what i needed to know :)

in my opinion, E9.x is extremely powerful software, but i had a big headache with E952 when i uploaded a cam job to OSHPark. Their server couldn't read the gerber files correctly. Tech support guy just told me to go back to E942 and eventually they will catch up. Autodesk has done a remarkable job but editing those libraries is still confusing as hell.
thanx
9.6.2 works fine with JLC PCB as I just had a small PCB job back from them using it.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...c-controlled-battery-array.32879/post-1488589

Last edited:

TechWise

Joined Aug 24, 2018
I learned a little bit of Eagle as an undergraduate and produced my first simple board that way. The class was very much "click this then click this then type that" without actually teaching you about what you were doing. At that time, Eagle was free for boards up to 100mm by 100mm, perhaps it still is. I am a huge fan of Autodesk Inventor which is totally free to students without limitation so its disappointing that they've taken the route they have with Eagle.

I then had to do a larger board design which pushed me on to KiCAD. I found it pretty good for something that cost me nothing. I did find the graphics a little "cheap" looking which shouldn't be too much of a concern. The method of managing libraries was very confusing at that time but was improved in the later versions. I really did like the fact that there was a stage betwen schematic capture and PCB layout where you assigned footprints to symbols. It was great if you wanted to change something to a different package without changing the schematic. Sometimes a part would be out of stock in one package and you could change to another really easily.

Finally, upon starting my PhD, I was able to start using Altium Designer 19. It really is a cut above in terms of features and the really premium look of the software and user interface. The schematic editor is nice and the Manufacturer Part Search allows you to search for parts and view their price and stock level in real time from a supplier of your choice. The PCB editor is also very nice to use. The 3D viewer is excellent and it is relatively easy to take a model from Inventor and attach it to a PCB footprint. The real game-changer for me though was the multichannel design feature. For a power electronic converter with six switches, I only had to draw each gate driver once then I could duplicate the layout on the PCB which saves time and increases consistency.

The reason it appears on so many job adverts is that it has premium features and good backup from the developers. Companies don't want to rely on open-source projects that might not last or whose support they can't rely on because they're not paying for it. Having said that, when I finish my research and go it alone, I'll be quite happy to revert to KiCAD for my own hobby projects.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
looks like fine work. How fast are they? OSHPark are typically 10-20 days. I'd give anything for a faster service.
If you use DHL they are about the same speed. As usual, Speed costs.

OSHPark is local so shipping is not a problem.
Super Swift Service
Ordered on
May 1st 2019
Paid on
May 1st 2019 via Stripe.
Shipped on
May 6th 2019 via FedEx FEDEX_2_DAY
https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/osh-park

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
I learned a little bit of Eagle as an undergraduate....
THANK YOU that's a lot o' stuff i didn't know. KiCAD does autorouting also and Eagle doesn't. But Eagle has push-to-Fusion, and OSHPark can import eagle brd files. It's a tossup.
i didn't know that Inventor is free. How does it compare to Fusion? Can the two programs export to each other?

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
Yes, it's pricey compared to lower quality Chinese houses that cost about the same if you upgrade the quality. I use both depending on the application.
But if you're prototyping and only need half dozen boards ya can't get any better than OSH. They're the only ones i can afford.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I found Oshpark a little pricey, especially if low qty.
Max.
If you look up the ENIG (electrodless nickel, immersion gold) plating that is standard at OSHPark, prices are not that different considering the cost of international shipping.

Of course, for the draft board I am current;y working on, I don't care whether it is ENIG or HASL. My only wish is that OSHPark would abandon purple as the only soldermask available. Why not green or red, at a minimum?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
THANK YOU that's a lot o' stuff i didn't know. KiCAD does autorouting also and Eagle doesn't. But Eagle has push-to-Fusion, and OSHPark can import eagle brd files. It's a tossup.
i didn't know that Inventor is free. How does it compare to Fusion? Can the two programs export to each other?
Eagle includes a pretty good TopoR autorouter in the latest 9 versions.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Pcb wizard. . As it was what we had in school 16years ago. Should really learn to use better software.

However the new version, im not that much of a fan off.has gerber, but The old one was like microsoft paint. You have certain basic pad shapes and you just draw your circuit.