Which multimeter? - Replacing an ~18 year old Radio Shack Micronta meter.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have several DMMs from UNI-T and they compare very well with my old Fluke. I think that in these days, a good quality DVM is not expensive.

However, from my experience over the last 15 years of buying lesser-notable DMMs, I have only run across two problems.

1) After several years, the rotary selection switch wears out (two times -noname brands).

2) The input resistance is only 1 Megohm. (from Futurlec).

Never had a problem with UNI-T.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Personal I would check out the Uni-T 61E which is the best meter from Uni-T IMO.. Or try to wait for a nice deal on a Fluke .. Also alot of people on AAC have been to known to the cheap Harbor freight meters and have no issue with then and with proper coupon it's a nice meter for free..

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Have two of the Harbor freight meters, keep one in the house and one in my truck. Also have an old Beckman 310 that still works. The Micronta dying is just an excuse to buy a more modern more capable meter.

Will check out the Uni-T but spending ~$100.00 doesn't bother me if I feel it's worth it.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Have two of the Harbor freight meters, keep one in the house and one in my truck. Also have an old Beckman 310 that still works. The Micronta dying is just an excuse to buy a more modern more capable meter.

Will check out the Uni-T but spending ~$100.00 doesn't bother me if I feel it's worth it.
Good luck and my current meter list right now
Fluke 77
Fluke 87 Series II
Ampro Pocketmeter

Joined Nov 30, 2010
People don't complain about the Harbor Freight meters because you can't really expect much for zero to four dollars, but I keep one in my tool box in case my, "real" meter takes a dump. I have only had to use it once, but it beats stopping a job and driving somewhere to get a meter!

I have a 1978 Flule 27 and it has never done worse that blow a fuse or break a test lead.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
This topic gets discussed continually. Could we do something more creative than regurgitating the same comments about DMMs that we have owned, loved and hated? How about a section on "Test Equipment", filled with reviews, polls, and suggested equipment for newbies.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Am I dreaming or is that $30 dllr thing really capable of measuring inductance?
Not real sure what you are referring to, if it's the AideTek don't see in the listing where it will measure inductance.

Couldn't help it, went ahead and ordered an AideTek. May have wasted $30.00 but what the heck.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This topic gets discussed continually. Could we do something more creative than regurgitating the same comments about DMMs that we have owned, loved and hated? How about a section on "Test Equipment", filled with reviews, polls, and suggested equipment for newbies.
Add soldering stations and maybe the various types of oscilloscopes to the equipment list. We have a parts list around here somewhere - this would be a nice extension to that. A buyer's guide to DIY electronics.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The best meters for the price I have found are the Mastech ones. Same accuracy of the flukes but way more functions and for way less cost.

I worked at a place that sole both and we often joked around and called the Mastechs Chukes as in they were chinese made flukes given that in day in a day out use we saw far less of them ever come back for warranty work or replacement than the flukes we sold.

I have the Mastech MS8265 (20,000 count display!) , we didn't carry that model when I worked there, and I have beat on it thoroughly for at least three years and it has yet to give me any trouble of any sort. When I first bought it I took it to work and we ran it against the service departments flukes and to be honest it was just as accurate as any of them in every typical day to day contractor type applications we could think of but to do everything it did we had to use three different flukes to do it. :cool:

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Received the AideTek meter today, don't waste your money. It is very cheaply made and reminds me of the Harbor freight meters. I should have and kinda did expect cheap for the price but it is about one step below that. The old Micronta was much better built.