where does the growth end?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Must explain me then. I used to hold solder between my teeth for a third hand, but got to thinking about it and found other ways.

No, solder fumes are not lethal, or damaging. I don't try to breath them, flux is not good for the lungs, but there is no lead in it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Worldwide roughly half of the people are involved in agriculture. In the First world nations (North America, Europe, Australia, etc.) roughly 5% of the people pay income tax on agricultural enterprises. In the US, less than 2% of the population file income tax reports for farming. (The government doesn't count farmers, it counts income tax filings).

Praondevou you're not the only one; you're in with the 95% who's job is knowing something other than how to feed themselves. I am starting to reconsider my plan of getting an engineering degree. Maybe a degree in agriculture. Or maybe just put that college money toward a piece of land and just start farming. People did it for thousands & thousands of years without college degrees.

A global economic collapse would favor developing nations and totally dessimate first world nations.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Why so negative?

We will be swimming in oil forever!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin :D:D:D
Lol. I've looked into that in the distant past. I know most people discredit it. I haven't done enough research on the topic to have any valuable input, but I have always thought that the idea that all our oil comes from decomposing plant & animal matter was just as "out there" as that idea. I know that oil wells that were pumped dry in the 70's & 80's in texas are full again; what bearing that has, not sure, but it makes me think that the oil is seeping up from somewhere even further down.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Bill,techs were dieing to young that I had watched with that habit.

Can think of three,two in business,one a super tech...would eat with

solder in the other hand. Just remembered the forth,top tech would

light his cig's with hi-voltage from T.V. he was working on,the only

tech to do that I knew.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The sad thing is the pursuit of the growth imperative for the sole purpose of money is killing us all. We are doing it to ourselves and don't want to admit it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I've been fighting against Round-Up for years,the 10's off in the woods taugh me

a lot. I fought Round-Up and won ,the same time buying more life and

pleasure. An Award winning effort, I was noticed and presented the award,

I did not apply ,it just happened. The community sensitive to chemical's took

notice,and letters that they were able to enjoy life was sent and copied to

a lot high place's.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Loosewire,

Research bremsstrahlung radiation, Dr Blake at the DTRA had a report in July 2011 concerning it and radiation exposures.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Where does the growth end?
Here is an interesting calculation.

Mass of the Earth is approx 6 x 10^24 kg.

Take two humans average weight 60kg.

Thus the Earth's mass is approx 5 x 10^22 times that of two humans.

At a population growth of 10% per annum I calculate it will take just under 560 years for the combined population mass to exceed the mass of the planet.

If the pop growth is only 1% per annum this will happen after about 5200 years.

I have not considered death rate, this makes the calc harder but the principle holds.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
does your calculation subtract from the weight of the earth in order to add to the weight of the humans? if not it should. pardon the bible reference, but "from dust we came and to dust we return" - we are not imported from outer space.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The calculation is for discussion about the futility and dangers of extrapolation.

No, of course I have not subtracted the mass of humans from the mass of earth. Nor do we yet have human recycling in Somerset. The extra humans obviously come from the same source that the oil is supposed to be replenished from.

:D

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
This planet is awash with energy, we just need to tap into some other resources.
I found this graph quite interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_land_area.png

"Solar areas defined by the dark disks could provide more than the world's total primary energy demand (assuming a conversion efficiency of 8%). That is, all energy currently consumed, including heat, electricity, fossil fuels, etc., would be produced in the form of electricity by solar cells."

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I wonder if a floating solar field might be a better idea. You could easily double the size of each site, and you'd have less people moaning that their view of nothing is spoilt.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I wonder if a floating solar field might be a better idea. You could easily double the size of each site, and you'd have less people moaning that their view of nothing is spoilt.
Floating soler field? Floating on what? :rolleyes:

I was surprised how small the area needed is when I saw this graph...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I would prefer highly efficient local solar power at home. Totally independent. But it's gonna be difficult where I live.
The good thing is, in most areas where the sun isn't abundant, storms with wind are. Have you considered a mix of solar & wind? Since the majority of home electricity goes to heat & cool the house, you can get your usage leaned down & stretch what power you do have further. Better insulation, insulated windows. geothermal heat pumps can heat your house without electricity; I've also seen solar water heaters (electricity free) that can be used even in the cold of winter to make blistering hot water, which you can pump through your floors and negate the need for heating.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Solar hot waters systems dont work too well in winter. We live around 35deg S, plenty of free hot warter in summer. But in winter i use LPG gas boosting, use about 9Kg of LPG per 30 days in winter months with 2 people in the house.