where do you Canadians go for vacation?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
When I worked for a few months in Canada, 4 guys, all at different times, flew to Phoenix, AZ. One went twice, to play golf. 2 guys went to Cuba. Just got into the strangest discussion with my friend, about "where do Canadians go for vacation" - so I'm carrying that over to the forum. So, where do our Canadian forum members go for vacation? And where would you say, percentage wise, that most canadians (other than yourselves) go for vacation?

and BTW, what's with Phoenix? can anybody confirm/explain my perception that Canadians are drawn to Phoenix?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure Canadians go to Phoenix because other Canadians are there. Florida is another 'snow bird' destination. One thing to take into consideration is what is a Canadian. We have a tremendously diverse populace of all nationalities, as such, destinations are varied. For the younger crowd, Australia and Europe are popular, middle age tend to Cuba/Mexico/Bahamas, and the older bunch hit Pheonix/Florida.

Personally, I do most of my vacationing here in Canada, and the wife right now is in the UK

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Most Canadians I know go to Mexico or Cuba. I like going around the islands, all islands, any islands, so I guess Cuba will be visited at some point... Students go to Asia. Europe, sometimes but not as much (at least not from West Coast)

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Alberta, BC, Florida, California, Quebec, Arizona, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Louisiana, Tex-ass (no insult intended, just how some Texans say it), France, Peru, the Canary Islands, Bermuda, the Carolinas, the Virginias.

Been those places, got the 'T' shirts...some more than once.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Seriously, you don't vacation in Alberta do you? Other than the two of the highest ranked ski hills in the world, we have dick, except for some mighty fine hunting, which I'd rather go to Saskatchewan for. Now if your talking work, Alberta is the place to be. But then again, word has it that Saskatchewan is boom town.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Alberta, BC, Florida, California, Quebec, Arizona, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Louisiana, Tex-ass (no insult intended, just how some Texans say it), France, Peru, the Canary Islands, Bermuda, the Carolinas, the Virginias.

Been those places, got the 'T' shirts...some more than once.
Nope, it is Tex-us, no -ass needed. If we really drawl it out it becomes Tax-us

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Seriously, you don't vacation in Alberta do you? Other than the two of the highest ranked ski hills in the world, we have dick, except for some mighty fine hunting, which I'd rather go to Saskatchewan for. Now if your talking work, Alberta is the place to be. But then again, word has it that Saskatchewan is boom town.
Sure! The wildlife photography, dirt bike riding and scenery are 2nd to none.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
If we really drawl it out it becomes Tax-us
Must be one of Dallas dudes. Did you ever talk with the folks on the bayou down in the Sabine Pass area? I'll take your word for it, as I had a hard time making out half of what they said in those parts.

Great photography there though!

As well as some mouth watering craw-fish and mud-skipper medley!

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Seems like a large portion vacation here in Florida. Doubt I go a day, with out seeing a Canadian license plate. Imagine most don't drive down here either. Must be on the metric system, seem to drive kind slow too... :)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Due to hurricane codes just about all of the Canadians mobil home parks have
been destoried,may be some remain inland. The last two hurricanes went thru
the whole state. Loosewire don't know much ..right..well I asked a Canadian Minister
why so many people lived here year round.I know for insurance they have to
go back once a year. Year round, the Minister said that o.k...keeps a lot of U.S. dollars going
to Canada.So do you guys want to come back and bring that cash with you.The
word is out,the U.S. is living in proverty...maybe people won't call you names now.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Due to hurricane codes just about all of the Canadians mobil home parks have
been destoried,may be some remain inland. The last two hurricanes went thru
the whole state. Loosewire don't know much ..right..well I asked a Canadian Minister
why so many people lived here year round.I know for insurance they have to
go back once a year. Year round, the Minister said that o.k...keeps a lot of U.S. dollars going
to Canada.So do you guys want to come back and bring that cash with you.The
word is out,the U.S. is living in proverty...maybe people won't call you names now.
Doesn't make a lot of sense, as the Florida bunch are largely retirees who's pensions are isssued in Canada but spent in the US.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Well that means if you live there year round you are paying there pensions.
The most of them own bussines here making even more money,I don't have
bias just having a conversation if you please,I am people person and ask a
lot of questions.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My guess is on average Canadian Snowbirds spend more Canadian money in Florida than US money they take away. This would be good for Florida economy.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
Well that means if you live there year round you are paying there pensions.
The most of them own bussines here making even more money,I don't have
bias just having a conversation if you please,I am people person and ask a
lot of questions.
So most of the canadian retirees in florida own businesses there??

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
More of the younger class 40-50 range some younger,some older.
Now new money has come in buying Dunk I'n,Donut ,Subway,Wendys,
Check Cash In,Service station, small food stores ..some have
20-30 stores.The new money is now mid-east.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
More of the younger class 40-50 range some younger,some older.
Now new money has come in buying Dunk I'n,Donut ,Subway,Wendys,
Check Cash In,Service station, small food stores ..some have
20-30 stores.The new money is now mid-east.
you said most of them, as in canadians, now your on to mid east. what do you mean?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hey, I liked the 1.5 whole days of vacation I got in alberta. Went to Jasper park. It was the most beautiful place I have been. I guess not many people get to live in the national park though. I talked to some natives from Saskatchewan (by natives, I mean indians, or nations, or whatever you call them in Canada) and they made it sound like it was all just one giant reservation.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hey, I liked the 1.5 whole days of vacation I got in alberta. Went to Jasper park. It was the most beautiful place I have been. I guess not many people get to live in the national park though. I talked to some natives from Saskatchewan (by natives, I mean indians, or nations, or whatever you call them in Canada) and they made it sound like it was all just one giant reservation.
We generally use the term 'First Nations'. The federal government were the first to negotiate with them, but they off loaded that responsibilities to the provinces. Alberta was one of the first to negotiate land claims, then Saskatchewan followed, and as it is has a relatively sparse population, land claims were generous in the northern portion. This is proving to be a challange now as some of those areas are being developed for oil extraction.

Of major concern throughout the country is the growing criminal activity that is fostered on the reserves, either through gang activity, or results of isolation. I have the pleasure of visiting a number of reserves during our fishing and hunting expeditions.