When did nipple rings become a thing?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My neighbor greeted me yesterday wearing no shirt, and I noticed he has nipple rings. It is possible he is only in his 60's and had a hard life, but I'm pretty sure he is 70+ years old. In my perception of the world and western culture, nipple rings weren't really "a thing" until the 90's. Am I wrong? Maybe he is hippie holdover; did hippies do nipple rings? I never associated hippies with nipple rings. Many cultural trends start off with some significance which is lost after appropriation by the masses; could this be something like that? Was there some meaning behind the nipple piercing before it became fashionable and it still has that meaning to him? Or is this just some bizarre late-life crisis thing?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My neighbor greeted me yesterday wearing no shirt, and I noticed he has nipple rings. It is possible he is only in his 60's and had a hard life, but I'm pretty sure he is 70+ years old. In my perception of the world and western culture, nipple rings weren't really "a thing" until the 90's. Am I wrong? Maybe he is hippie holdover; did hippies do nipple rings? I never associated hippies with nipple rings. Many cultural trends start off with some significance which is lost after appropriation by the masses; could this be something like that? Was there some meaning behind the nipple piercing before it became fashionable and it still has that meaning to him? Or is this just some bizarre late-life crisis thing?
I dunno, you're on 'terra incognita' with this one.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Didn't the bad guy from "Silence Of The Lambs" wear a nipple ring? :oops: ... that was very early 90's, right?

That guy's a pretty good actor btw... loved him as the chief of police in "Monk"

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Pretty sure the leather boys adopted them from the S&M crowd who probably didn't run around bare chested in leather vests and wearing leather open back chaps.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There are some things a good ole Southern boy a'int sposed to know bout. But, you can even buy them on Amazon...
1620343948870.png