Whats your score?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
It gives me 41%
Metrology and Standards calibration and repair.

Ha! Someone has to service and repair all those millions of new robot workers. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
48% Programmer

The other 52% will be taken by cheap Indian immigrant labor that piles 20 people into an apartment to make ends meet.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Or 4.2% Software Developer. Guess I am really a developer.

Either way cheap Indian labor will be chewing up the remaining percentage.

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Who you gonna manage: the machines? Ahhh...cha cha cha.
You made me think. :( I was probably part of this evolution.
My first job was IBM. We made everything - even IC's.
Then Storage Tech and my own company(tape & disk drives). We sub'd out almost everything pretty much locally and just did final assembly. We did build some products in Porto Rico for the tax relief - it wasn't a big winner.
Optical disk company with a Japanese parent. Optics from Japan, electronic from the USA.
Disk heads - engineering in the USA and manufacturing in Philippines, then Thailand.
Then back to disk drives with Maxtor - manufacturing in Singapore, China now, I think. Sourcing world wide.
The first disk drives cost about $10K to build, the last about $30. Sold about 6,000 a year of the first and 30 million of the last. Some of the last were automated, but not much. Two or three model changes a year.
Edit:
I should point out, that while the final assembly remained pretty much non-automated (read cheap labor), the rest of the parts became highly automated.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
So. Let me break it down to see if I "get it".
We are all doomed because...

Cheap foreign labor will take our jobs.
Robots will take our jobs.
The internet will destroy traditional brick and mortar retailers, thereby taking our jobs.
Economic collapse will take our jobs.
Climate change will take our jobs
Fossil fuel industry will destroy the environment causing climate change and take our jobs.

Ad absurdum....etc etc etc

Sounds to me like somebody has a guaranteed job keeping everyone scared and fearful, thereby making their calls for more money and more control a welcome action.

Sheeple. Whatcha gonna do about 'em?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sounds to me like somebody has a guaranteed job keeping everyone scared and fearful, thereby making their calls for more money and more control a welcome action.
Why would you say that. Look at a multi-generational span of history and ask yourself what jobs have any longevity at all. It's not about being scared and fearful, it is about how we as a society can evolve to a place where we can meet our basic needs without the necessity for 'everyone' to have a job. In fact lot's of people won't be able to get jobs, even if they do want to work, so what should they do with their time? That is the question which will determine the viability of future societies.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Why would you say that. Look at a multi-generational span of history and ask yourself what jobs have any longevity at all. It's not about being scared and fearful, it is about how we as a society can evolve to a place where we can meet our basic needs without the necessity for 'everyone' to have a job. In fact lot's of people won't be able to get jobs, even if they do want to work, so what should they do with their time? That is the question which will determine the viability of future societies.
Yep, All you need to do is look at the median wage growth, or lack thereof, to see what's coming. Median household wage has been flat or down for the last 20 years even though 20% more of those households now have 2 people working in them. Cheap goods is the only thing keeping it going. It's going to take some creative thinking to move things forward.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm getting a job at Cogswell Cogs or Spacely's Space Sprockets. All evidence I have shows George Jetson had a job long after flying cars become common.

My maid will certainly be in trouble though!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yep, All you need to do is look at the median wage growth, or lack thereof, to see what's coming. Median household wage has been flat or down for the last 20 years even though 20% more of those households now have 2 people working in them. Cheap goods is the only thing keeping it going. It's going to take some creative thinking to move things forward.
It was obviously a "do nothing" job such as people had in the former Soviet Union. The joke among workers was "we pretend to work", and "they pretend to pay us". We all know how that worked out. And of course Spacely was the archetypal oligarch.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I got 47% in one listed job, and 58% in the other listed job.

My job ... RETIRED.

The two listed jobs certainly are ripe for takeover.