What's reason to choose an RTOS ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I think most people misunderstand the role of RTOS and STATE machine. RTOS manages time- that's its primary function. An application manages STATE- that is its primary function. And that is the correct way that both an RTOS and a STATE machine interact seemlessly. This concept is not new- this is how it's always been by professional developers who understand how to efficiently work _with_ the machine and not against it.

The majority of people writing code today shouldn't be- they need to go do something else, as coding is NOT (nor will it ever be) where their strengths lie. Contrary to popular opinion, people cannot be anything they want to be with great success. Some people are academics, some people are creatives, and some people dig ditches. And there is no shame in that. Everybody is different. Unfortunately people have an idea (largely due to marketing) that if you don't have a degree you're, stupid. I *hate* this sort of psychological warfare that society uses against people. F! I'd _LOVE_ to be a mathematician.... but that isn't ever going to happen- no matter how much I've tried. IMHO.
On this we can agree, RTOS and State-Machines are not mutually exclusive... You don't need a RTOS to manage the time resource and many people with hardware experience find it contraining on modern hardware specialized peripherals. This is especially true if you don't use a time splice task, per processing unit, task scheduling for your embedded model. Event State and State Machines with the proper hierarchy be used to eliminate the RTOS blocking model entirely in most controller applications with controller level LOC complexity.