what will your five question to know that candidate is suitable for position of embedded software engineer

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
If you have given chance to take interview for position of software engineer minimum 1 year experience then what will your five question to know that candidate is suitable for position.
Maybe you could boil it all down to five simple questions, but you won't likely find good people that way.

The most important thing is just pay attention and try to form an intuitive understanding of the person. Try to guess their habits by their mannerisms and such throughout the interview so that by the end of it all you have a pretty good idea of "what they're all about". Don't project, just observe. If their attitude and personality shine, give them a huge check-mark.

You'll probably want to explore their interests as well, both recreational and academic. It doesn't matter if they match with yours, of course, just that they all pretty much point in the right direction. A person who is obsessed with The Zombie Apocalypse for example (yes, sadly that is a thing these days) just might turn out to be the kind of person who spends a lot of time standing around the water cooler, spreading rumors, wasting their time on speculative nonsense, or whatever. Careful not to judge their interest however - what you're look at is how it relates to their life and how it effects them.

Precise knowledge of a certain technology isn't enough either. A good developer will be able to pick up things along the way, so a fairly decent grasp of how things work "in general" is usually good enough. The main thing is just to establish that they have the right mindset and capabilities.

Anyway, hiring is easy. The hard part is learning to be a good boss!

RobNevada

Joined Jul 29, 2019
Hello, It's " I'm late" stated by the White Rabbit, not am late. It should be IML8 IML8 if you want the reference to be accurate for your riddle.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hello, It's " I'm late" stated by the White Rabbit, not am late. It should be IML8 IML8 if you want the reference to be accurate for your riddle.
It’s not my riddle.
I just use it.
I don’t care if it gets solved.
I just note the candidate’s process.
For that matter,
the license plate could be
XF6 XF5

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I would ask a few questions about OS design. Most of the strange issues I see with embedded software are related to atomic updates, synchronization and locking issues that are investigated in detail during your typical undergrad level OS class. Some people seem to think these things don't matter at the 8-bit level and they don't with a simple one thread of execution style program but once interrupts start to be used the common answer of disabling all interrupts during service routines starts to look very inefficient when multi-level interrupts and priorities are used to improve read-time performance. There are entire books just about locking, mutexes, semaphores and such but IMO it's rare to see even the simplest mitigation techniques used in what passes for good embedded software.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This thread has a gone ( pardon the expression) down the rabbit hole.

No magic questions. If the resumé passes inspection (does this look like it might be the person who can do what I need done?) then there will be extensive interviews by those in my department and company with relevant expertise. My questions were usually about what they had done in the past that might be relevant to what I see my group's work being over the next several years.

The most important thing is to find people who fit into the group and know how to work as part of a team. If you hire them it is like bringing them into your family, so it is important to choose carefully.