What power supply is suitable to run the pictured 12v DC motor?

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015
I have tried to power this motor using a computer power supply by tying all the grounds together and tying all the 12v leads together. The power supply trips when the PWM direction switch is thrown requiring turning the supply off and on again. I don't know how many Amps this power supply puts out.
My PWM is rated at 10a and the motor markings is just 12volt.

1) What Power Supply would be best for this motor?

2) Would higher voltage increase speed or torque?

3) Additional thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Of course you are going to trip a PC P.S. with that motor, particularly if starting from a non-zero state, you need a linear supply for that motor.
A simple AC supply with a bridge rectifier will run it if the PWM unit has built in Capacitors.
BTW with a PWM control you are not tied to the plate voltage of the motor, it can be at least 10% above the motor rating.
Max..

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015
Of course you are going to trip a PC P.S. with that motor, particularly if starting from a non-zero state, you need a linear supply for that motor.
A simple AC supply with a bridge rectifier will run it if the PWM unit has built in Capacitors.
BTW with a PWM control you are not tied to the plate voltage of the motor, it can be at least 10% above the motor rating.
Max..
Is a linear ps the same as a switching ps?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The power supply trips when the PWM direction switch is thrown requiring turning the supply off and on again. I don't know how many Amps this power supply puts out.
Thanks, Rick
When a motor is reversed it acts as a generator until the direction changes. This voltage is added to the power supply voltage. This probably makes an over voltage circuit trip in the supply. Let it stop before the reversal.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When a motor is reversed it acts as a generator until the direction changes. This voltage is added to the power supply voltage. .
This would only occur if the motor were to increase rpm after the power was removed.
At the point of power removal it is almost equal or less, depending on load.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The transient response to a step change in load of a SMPS is generally very poor. They can be designed to be 'stiffer', but this is not usually the case.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
No, it happens on any reversal where the motor is still spinning in one direction and is driven in the other direction. It's not a problem with batteries because it just charges them and the voltage doesn't rise much. This has gotten me twice. Easy to view the power supply as a battery.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Maradyne Corporation is located here in Cleveland, Ohio so depending on your location you have nothing to lose by giving them a call at (216) 362-0755 and describing your motor. They may be able to send you a data sheet on that motor. Nothing to lose. The motor looks to be a small gear head motor and looking at the wires hard to tell but does not look to be a high current motor. My guess is the sudden reversal may be an issue. Will the motor start and run in forward or reverse from the start? When you reverse is it just a sudden change or is the motor allowed to halt and then reverse? I tend to agree with ronv as to the sudden reversal being the problem.

Again, while the Maradyne website does not show your motor I would give them a call as they may be able to fix you up with a data sheet or at least some specifications. Those motors were likely sold exclusively to the auto manufacturing industry locally here in Cleveland.

Ron

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A cheap automotive battery charger with a few large capacitors added to its output make as for a pretty good and highly forgiving low voltage DC motor driver power supply. That's what I would be looking to use.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When a motor is reversed it acts as a generator until the direction changes. This voltage is added to the power supply voltage. This probably makes an over voltage circuit trip in the supply. Let it stop before the reversal.
Clarify: I may have misunderstood your comment, but the motor will generate the same polarity as the driven direction, if the power is reversed before a stop, then the current is extremely high, as the applied power is opposite polarity to the generated and will oppose each other.
Max.

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015
Clarify: I may have misunderstood your comment, but the motor will generate the same polarity as the driven direction, if the power is reversed before a stop, then the current is extremely high, as the applied power is opposite polarity to the generated and will oppose each other.
Max.
I will attach the motor to a 12v battery this weekend and check the amps so I can choose the right PS.
If I attached a 12v 10a PS and the motor was rated 12v 5a, what would happen? I was told long ago that it would use only the amps needed while in a similar situation the speakers went up in smoke.
Incidentally ya'll talk in a foreign language but I follow most tips and appreciate the huge response.

Thank, Rick

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015
Maradyne Corporation is located here in Cleveland, Ohio so depending on your location you have nothing to lose by giving them a call at (216) 362-0755 and describing your motor. They may be able to send you a data sheet on that motor. Nothing to lose. The motor looks to be a small gear head motor and looking at the wires hard to tell but does not look to be a high current motor. My guess is the sudden reversal may be an issue. Will the motor start and run in forward or reverse from the start? When you reverse is it just a sudden change or is the motor allowed to halt and then reverse? I tend to agree with ronv as to the sudden reversal being the problem.

Again, while the Maradyne website does not show your motor I would give them a call as they may be able to fix you up with a data sheet or at least some specifications. Those motors were likely sold exclusively to the auto manufacturing industry locally here in Cleveland.

Ron
Thanks for the heads-up, Will follow-up, Rick

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015
Will try that this weekend. I do have a 3 position switch installed.
Rick

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I was told long ago that it would use only the amps needed
Thank, Rick
This is correct, the current demand is high initially if you were to power with 12v directly, if you are using PWM then you can control the speed from 0 to 12v.
It is wise to power up when the control is zero and to make sure the motor is stopped before reversing.
Max.

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015