What materials are wall plugs made of apart from brass?

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I've got what may be a basic question but I need to know more because I have a few power cords I've removed from non working units and some of the AC plugs (the parts that make contact with the wall outlet) look silver as opposed to the yellowish color of brass. Magnets do not stick to them so they are obviously non ferrous but what are the metals used if not brass? Aluminum perhaps? I'm trying to separate metals into containers so I know exactly what they are and when a project comes along requiring a certain metal I'll know which container to draw from for any given project. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I've got what may be a basic question but I need to know more because I have a few power cords I've removed from non working units and some of the AC plugs (the parts that make contact with the wall outlet) look silver as opposed to the yellowish color of brass. Magnets do not stick to them so they are obviously non ferrous but what are the metals used if not brass? Aluminum perhaps? I'm trying to separate metals into containers so I know exactly what they are and when a project comes along requiring a certain metal I'll know which container to draw from for any given project. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Most likely nickel

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015

In addition to the above cited Monels (Cu, Ni), Brasses (Cu, Zn) and Bronzes (Cu, Sn) --- Alloys comprised of two or more of Zn, Ag, Sb and Mo are occasionally encountered in contact conductors ---- But definitely not aluminum! -- Although Al is yet in wide use as an electrical conductor, its ineradicable insulating oxide and flammability preclude 'active contact' applications...

As a side note: Inasmuch as Al is a relatively reactive element (à la calcium), aluminum alloys preclusive or disruptive of oxide formation are prey of rapid (atmospheric) corrosion (the amalgam, for instance, is notorious in this regard)... Moreover, while aluminum is occasionally plated with copper or other metals (as, for instance, to enhance 'solderability' ), such is not cost effective for non-specialized applications...

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
In addition to the above cited Monels (Cu, Ni), Brasses (Cu, Zn) and Bronzes (Cu, Sn) --- Alloys comprised of two or more of Zn, Ag, Sb and Mo are occasionally encountered in contact conductors ---- But definitely not aluminum! -- Although Al is yet in wide use as an electrical conductor, its ineradicable insulating oxide and flammability preclude 'active contact' applications...

As a side note: Inasmuch as Al is a relatively reactive element (à la calcium), aluminum alloys preclusive or disruptive of oxide formation are prey of rapid (atmospheric) corrosion (the amalgam, for instance, is notorious in this regard)... Moreover, while aluminum is occasionally plated with copper or other metals (as, for instance, to enhance 'solderability' ), such is not cost effective for non-specialized applications...

Best regards
HP
Thanks for the response HP. I appreciate the time you took to do so in such a descriptive and informative fashion.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I was thinking it could be CrNi perhaps?

UK plugs are often plain brass altough there are also silvery ones.
EU plugs are always coated but the core is brass I think.

The US plugs are just thin blades not sure if they have a core.

You dont normally seperate such waste but give it to electrical recycler (aka ewaste).

And nobody cares a coating on a few plugs (for recycling), you dont need to sepersate or test that.