What Makes Fiber Optic Cables Better Than Copper Cables?

AntonioCrocombe

Joined Aug 11, 2017
There are few things in my mind, which is the best fiber optic cable or copper cable. I need help for the clear about this point. which is the better and faster connectivity cable?

Andrei Suditu

Joined Jul 27, 2016
Fiber is the best method(quality wise) but is also expensive.In my country(probably like anywhere else) isp's use fiber for long distance and when they get at a 100m radius they switch to Cooper.Copper cables have a limit of about 100 m before the signal is too destroyed.
Fiber uses light to mark bits however on a single fiber you can cramp in multiple wavelengths(ex red ,green...etc...will be measured in nanometers as wavelength).
So fiber is quite insensible to distance...nearly no interference and high throughput...but expensive and it needs equipment(fiber to Cooper cable convertor/modem) to work.Don't know if all onboard Lan cards on today's computers(if you have an older one) have fiber support.

Sandwich83

Joined Jul 24, 2017
Fiber is the best method(quality wise) but is also expensive.In my country(probably like anywhere else) isp's use fiber for long distance and when they get at a 100m radius they switch to Cooper.Copper cables have a limit of about 100 m before the signal is too destroyed.
Fiber uses light to mark bits however on a single fiber you can cramp in multiple wavelengths(ex red ,green...etc...will be measured in nanometers as wavelength).
So fiber is quite insensible to distance...nearly no interference and high throughput...but expensive and it needs equipment(fiber to Cooper cable convertor/modem) to work.Don't know if all onboard Lan cards on today's computers(if you have an older one) have fiber support.
What you've said is true, but very simplified...

Fibre has many advantages over copper:
At speeds above 10G, copper is almost useless
Fibre is currently hitting speeds of 200-400G per wavelength in commercial applications
~80 wavelengths can be multiplexed onto a single fibre
Fibre emits no EMI
Fibre can be run hundreds of kilometres before the signal needs to be amplified or regenerated - although short reach fibre plugs can also be used for short runs of less than 1KM
Fibre is lighter than copper

That said, fibre is very sensitive to moisture/humidity and cleanliness (dirty fibre can cause loss of signal)

Echo2017

Joined Oct 9, 2017
Comparison between Fiber Optic Cables and Copper Cables

1.On the one hand, compared with copper cables, the bandwidth of fiber optic cable is higher . For the HD conference and HDTV systems, requiring higher speed to meet the information demand , they have a higher requirement for bandwidth. By comparison, the MTP fiber cables are the good choice for it.

2.On the other hand, compared with copper cables ,the fiber connectors on the fiber cables ,especially for LC, are smaller in size than those on copper cables. In addition, the fiber connectors require less back plane real estate on the servers, switches, and routers necessary for the data system. This is the reason that manufacturers are switching to LC connectorson some of their servers and switches.

For more details about why Fiber Optic Cables are better than Copper Cables , here is a detaied explaination: https://www.infiberone.com/Plate_Detail_323.html.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Fiber optic cables normally only carry low power communication signals and excel in doing that.

Copper can carry high power signals as well as DC power, so copper is normally used if any significant power is being transmitted.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I am fortunate here in Australia in that we got Fiber To the Premises at our home in the National Broadband Network roll out that our current federal government torpedoed. Originally it was to be nationally fiber to all the homes, except in the remote rural areas.
Because of a government change, the later installations are stuck with fiber to the node, with the last lengths down the streets and to the houses running in the old copper. A very stupid political decision and not cheaper to implement after all.
So, in theory, our bandwidth connection here is future proof. It can go to very fast speeds in the future as required where as those poor souls stuck with the copper are severely limited to their max speed. I've likened it to for copper, having a dirt track that may be sealed if it is short enough, but only a single lane max. Where as I have, with the fiber, a double road that can be easily expanded to a multi lane freeway if needed.
I've gone with a very low speed internet connection of 12Mbit but my friends up the street have 2 ISPs each running at 100Mbit in the one fiber. And if they wanted, they could have more.
If you are looking at installation options, go with fiber if you can for future proofing.
I can remember when 9.6Kb modems were fast!!!! Just look at what we have now, and the speed expectations will only increase with time.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
There are few things in my mind, which is the best fiber optic cable or copper cable. I need help for the clear about this point. which is the better and faster connectivity cable?
Depending on the usage.
a: Fibre fast and galvanic and provide separation between the two ends.
b: fibre not able to transport electrical current (excellent in a hostile environment. no lighting via cable into your home.)

Copper slower but able to transport electrical current plus 500 Mbit/s @ 4Km is possible depending on cable quality.

Picbuster

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There are hundreds/thousands of articles about copper vs fiber..
You should try using Google and then actually reading the information it provides you with..
You don't have to wait for humans to answer.. Its an amazing way to learn..
Just "google it"

https://smallbiztrends.com/2015/08/fiber-optic-copper-wireless-internet-transmission-methods.html
http://www.thefoa.org/tech/fo-or-cu.htm
http://www.cablexpress.com/blog/5-r...-choose-fiber-optic-cables-instead-of-copper/
https://www.atlantech.net/blog/8-advantages-of-fiber-optic-internet-over-copper-cable

Fiber for the most part is "best" (but "best" isn't cheap)

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
That's like asking which is better....an airplane or a cargo ship. Which would you use to carry a letter and which would you use to carry a circus.