What makes a treadmill motor and controller compatible ?

KingAether

Joined Jan 29, 2020
I've seen multiple people mention that using a treadmill motor with a non-compatible t.m motor control board will cause problems somewhere or another in the line. Im wondering what exactly gives that compatibility? KB controllers seem almost universally recommended regardless of the motor. The mc-60s in the US also seem a great state-side solution but here in the UK there doesn't seem to be a commonly known equivalent that can be pulled from t.m's.
More to my point, the larger of the two board images is a bare version of the broken board in my treadmill, the smaller one is what is being sold by BHfitness as a universal replacement for most of there t.ms even though the original boards all vary quite a bit.
I'm curious where to start looking for compatibility because if we can find a mc-60 == in 220v without the need for heavy modification of an mc-60 that would be a great solution to a lot of peoples searches.
Thank you
Treadmill-circuit-board-lower-control-board-ZH-KQSI-002-for-BH-F10-G6521-treadmill-compatible-...jpgc4016719d8c23b295f174d4fc800df5c.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you intend using the T.M. in the original form, then you will need the exact board, if using it for non-T.M. use then most motors and controllers can be used for other purposes. IOW they are not that critical on the motor.
Max.

KingAether

Joined Jan 29, 2020
That's amazing to know, i can pick up another treadmill with similar specs to the one i took apart for pennys on the pound compared to a KB controller over here in the UK. Curious why its not so important if not used as a treadmill? I do still intend for it to run a belt and be under some load in use.
Thanks again MHR, you've been a lot of help in my few recent posts

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you pick up one of the MC2100 PWM boards, I can give you a lead on the necessary small (100mm x 100mm) add on board to control it, if needed.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
BTW, if you intend to run the motor with the flywheel in place, generally they can only be run in the original direction due to most being threaded on, in reverse they tend to thread OFF!
Most applications you can remove it.
Max.

KingAether

Joined Jan 29, 2020
Ok thank you, ill let you know if i come across one, wont be buying new but plenty of used treadmills come up locally; not sure if they are as common here but i have seen them in 220v and would assume its factory, not a mod. With the 2100 is it that its just not as simple as wiring the pot right to the board as you can with the 60?

The fly wheels single direction (CW) but i wont be needing to reverse it and the extra weight/torque is a plus.

I do still have the console; are they programmed more specifically to the controller? Wishful thinking but If i could find another 2hp 8a 20kmh max speed treadmill, theoretically, would that work without damaging the motor. Ideal solution (for my budget) to be able to just switch out the motor and console on the control board between two different machines on a rotating, rolling, worktop.
Sorry for so many questions this project went from one thing to another and now i find myself really enjoying a new rabbit hole

KingAether

Joined Jan 29, 2020
Oh Even better, the video i saw about using it with a pot did not seem simple, i think maybe the guy was making the board himself from scratch though

As an inveterate tinkerer am interested in this... am just trying to use an old Alatech 689030 motor board of a Branx treadmill.
I already have a motor - an outer rotor one made by Precor. Am trying to meld the components into a beautiful whole to drive a wood lathe. As discussed above boards vary in ease of use and this'n one can't just attach a pot and get going. Apparently there is some protocol that gets fed to the rdx pin. It'd be really useful to know the pinouts on this board and protocols/etc needed to make it function in intended new use. Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have no personal knowledge of that board, and have not come across any info on the type of command signal needed.
It obviously appears to be a PWM controller, so that a plus.
May need some reverse engineering and experimentation to come up with the right command signal.
Max.

Thanks MHR ... S'law that I obtain an mcb that is contrary... HeyHo. As you say some tinkering needed.
There's another thread on the Arduino forum about this particular driver... same difficulty i.e. protocols mysterious.
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=590321.15 Need to read again more carefully to glean useful parts.
I'll have a careful play, hopefully smoke free. If I can decipher how to get the board to function in my application I'll post the findings. Out of interest I attach an image of the target motor. A treadmill drive. As the central magnet assembly is stationary so the wound armature is external and doubles up as flywheel - an interesting solution. Used one on m'i milling machine with a KB drive. Works fine. Hoping a PWM treadmill board is a quieter drive though. Lathe I have uses expanding pulleys! :)
Thanks for looking at my query ...

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That link does not show the board type, as far as I can see?
You probably have the Triac version of the KB board, they do a PWM that is much smoother, but more $$'s.
Max.

Ah... MHR you're right ... I looked harder at that board and although initially they look the same there is a slight difference between the two blue relays and the little yellow inductor, there's a big resistor, cap and no 8pin chip... there also seems to be a socket on the edge too. Otherwise component layout, white connector strips and labels all seem identical.
And yeh my KB is SCR, their pwm wisper better but more £££.
I think perhaps the Arduino post's general comments re functions may be usable as a starting set of assumptions to experiment.
Thanks ... B