What is the polarity of 3 pin crystal oscillator

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
I have searched in Google there is seems no info or maybe there is but is not shown in the search result. Can you anyone explain which one is signal in, ground and signal out of the 3 pin crystal oscillator as below

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I have searched in Google there is seems no info or maybe there is but is not shown in the search result. Can you anyone explain which one is signal in, ground and signal out of the 3 pin crystal oscillator as below
Since the unit is totally symmetrical, it's not an oscillator because there's no production-friendly way to determine which pin is power in and which pin is the output.
Consequently, it's a resonator of some type, crystal or otherwise, with the center pin intended to be grounded and no polarity assigned to the end pins.
Where did you find the image?

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
Since the unit is totally symmetrical, it's not an oscillator because there's no production-friendly way to determine which pin is power in and which pin is the output.
Consequently, it's a resonator of some type, crystal or otherwise, with the center pin intended to be grounded and no polarity assigned to the end pins.
Where did you find the image?
Thanks i think this is the answer i am looking for...anyway i found the image on google image search

And i use multimeter to check its continuity between pin. The middle pin connected body, the first pin connected and 3rd pin are independent of one another

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Most likely the crystal is connected to the two outside pins.

It is possible but not very likely that there is a load capacitor from each crystal connection to the case.

The center pin would be grounded. In some sedsitive curcuits the crystal can needs to be grounded to prevent electrical noise from being radiated fro the crystal.