what is the name of the connector that cuts the insulation on the wire?

test6544554654654654654

Joined Mar 14, 2021
what is the name of the connector that cuts the insulation on the wire, the one that is on many ethernet wall connectors?
you get a wire press it on top of the connector and 2 metal pieces cut the insulation on the wire.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As well as IDC there are versions for larger individual conductors, Digikey have them among many, I don't have the make/part number where I am at the moment but could get it if needed.

They are under "TE Connectivity AMP Connectors". 22 SWG conductors

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Even well wrapped with 3M tape they don't make the grade for me. Extreme heat tends to unwrap tape and corrosion takes it from there. They were/are quite popular for folks adding a towing lights harness to their vehicle and a real headache after. Maybe under the dash or in the trunk but definitely not under the vehicle on the chassis and exposed to wheel spray.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Even well wrapped with 3M tape they don't make the grade for me. Extreme heat tends to unwrap tape and corrosion takes it from there. They were/are quite popular for folks adding a towing lights harness to their vehicle and a real headache after. Maybe under the dash or in the trunk but definitely not under the vehicle on the chassis and exposed to wheel spray.
In a clean, passive environment like an electronics lab they are OK for a quick hack but in an environment of extreme temp changes, extreme humidity changes and constant vibration (like a vehicle) they have a very high failure rate.

IMO T-taps are junk, the most useless thing ever invented..

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Maybe under the dash or in the trunk but definitely not under the vehicle on the chassis and exposed to wheel spray.
The problem isn't with a real Scotchloc, it's with all of the knockoffs and clones. There are so many Fruehauf semi trailers on the road with these in them for the side lights and tail lights that are not having problems would the company use them if they weren't reliable? One of my aunts used to work at a Fruehauf plant and she gave me a bunch of them years ago, almost out of them now. She then went to work at one of the travel trailer/RV trailer companies and they used them there for the same thing, running lights.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The problem isn't with a real Scotchloc, it's with all of the knockoffs and clones. There are so many Fruehauf semi trailers on the road with these in them for the side lights and tail lights that are not having problems would the company use them if they weren't reliable? One of my aunts used to work at a Fruehauf plant and she gave me a bunch of them years ago, almost out of them now. She then went to work at one of the travel trailer/RV trailer companies and they used them there for the same thing, running lights.
We used the marine certified Scotchlok models for small signal connections like intercom speaker audio wiring in the office environment but abominations like this are banned on site and I toss any seen in a vendors toolbox..
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/31562/3M-06127-Scotchlok-801-IDC-Tap-Connector-/
3M 06127 Scotchlok 801 IDC Tap Connector, 18-14 Ga., Blue
1657810943633.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I composed this about 6 hours ago and apparently forget to hit the post reply button

In a clean, passive environment like an electronics lab they are OK for a quick hack but in an environment of extreme temp changes, extreme humidity changes and constant vibration (like a vehicle) they have a very high failure rate.

IMO T-taps are junk, the most useless thing ever invented..
My experience differs. I have used them with success and had long term reliability but they were not exposed to extreme conditions, they were applied with care and tested, and they were not used for mot\re than 50% of their current rating.

That last point may or may not be important, but it was true. The first to are important. I had to show people how to apply them and prior ro explaining the particulars some connection were not reliable. In particular some of the problems were:

Using a connector designed for a larger gauge, which at first seemed to be good but soon became intermittent.

Using a connector designed for a smaller guage, also initially seemed good but then suddenly failed by cutting the wire.

Leaving an insufficient tail on the wire, which lead to pullout under mechanical load (which should have been happening in the first place, but was a fact of life from time to time.)

Apply too little crimping force, which didn't fully seat the wire into the groove and lead to intermittent connections in some cases and pullout in others.

Apply too much crimping force, which crushed and distorted the connector causing a variety of problems.

With some care we were getting reliable connections and no failures over the year I was aware of the situation.

However, the biggest "merit" of this type is cheapness, which is not something I usually look for.

Today, there are other designs but they necessarily cost more. That being the case I currently prefer compression connectors in this sort of application. They are more expensive and larger but completely reliable, reconfigurable, and reusable. They include test probe holes which turns out to be a godsend in some cases, and they are very nicely made and I like to work with nicely made connectors.

So far the best I know are the Wago 221 Series. They work for a very wide conductor size range, I have never seen a failure, and every test from skeptics I have seen (e.g.: YouTube torture tests) had proven them to exceed their ratings.

I use them for mains wiring as well as quick prototype low voltage setups and sometimes more permanent ones. The biggest drawback in low volt applications are their size which can make for a crowded box if used with too many conductors.

1657782636176.png
[EDIT: typo repair]

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I composed this about 6 hours ago and apparently forget to hit the post reply button

My experience differs. I have used them with success and had long term reliability but they were not exposed to extreme conditions, they were applied with care and tested, and they were not used for mot\re than 50% of their current rating.

That last point may or may not be important, but it was true. The first to are important. I had to show people how to apply them and prior ro explaining the particulars some connection were not reliable. In particular some of the problems were:

Using a connector designed for a larger gauge, which at first seemed to be good but soon became intermittent.

Using a connector designed for a smaller guage, also initially seemed good but then suddenly failed by cutting the wire.

Leaving an insufficient tail on the wire, which lead to pullout under mechanical load (which should have been happening in the first place, but was a fact of life from time to time.)

Apply too little crimping force, which didn't fully seat the wire into the groove and lead to intermittent connections in some cases and pullout in others.

Apply too much crimping force, which crushed and distorted the connector causing a variety of problems.

With some care we were getting reliable connections and no failures over the year I was aware of the situation.

However, the biggest "merit" of this type is cheapness, which is not something I usually look for.

Today, there are other designs but they necessarily cost more. That being the case I currently prefer compression connectors in this sort of application. They are more expensive and larger but completely reliable, reconfigurable, and reusable. They include test probe holes which turns out to be a godsend in some cases, and they are very nicely made and I like to work with nicely made connectors.

So far the best I know are the Wago 221 Series. They work for a very wide conductor size range, I have never seen a failure, and every test from skeptics I have seen (e.g.: YouTube torture tests) had proven them to exceed their ratings.

I use them for mains wiring as well as quick prototype low voltage setups and sometimes more permanent ones. The biggest drawback in low volt applications are their size which can make for a crowded box if used with too many conductors.

[EDIT: typo repair]
Your experience mirrors mine. Too many failure modes with IDC taps was seen as a high risk.

The Wago 221 series is great. I use them and stock them at work and home.
PXL_20220714_184818050.jpg

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I installed a remote start on my truck years ago and the manufacturer of the device strongly advised against using IDC type connectors to make taps to existing wires. Their recommendation was to strip insulation, wrap the wire that is tapping into the existing, SOLDERING and taping the connection. I installed the system over 10 years ago and it is still working fine.

jkaiser20

Joined Aug 9, 2016
I don’t mind admitting that I feel happy to see some posters, whose knowledge and experience are way over mine, think Wago connectors are good. I have a bag of them and love them. Only discovered them three years ago.