What is the maximum current that can be drawn from the mains supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Hi guys,

This question has been bugging me for a while. I know what theoretically its like - infinity to + infinity and it depends on the load that is connected to the supply plus the load at which the fuse/circuit breaker can handle. But lets just assume that I bypass the power meter and everything and directly coonect to the pole utility. Will my current ability increase as I connect a bigger cable to draw more current? What will be the max current is possible? Also what could be the max current at the source of generation of electricity(lets take an example of the generator at nuclear power plant, its not infinite anyway as it could handle only a particular amount of current )?Thanks in advance everyone. Cheers :)

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can draw up to about what it says on your breaker or fuse. There are mains services in various maximum currents, if you need something beyond what it says on your breaker talk to a qualified electrician -he may need to have your electrical service changed.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
You can draw up to about what it says on your breaker or fuse. There are mains services in various maximum currents, if you need something beyond what it says on your breaker talk to a qualified electrician -he may need to have your electrical service changed.
Thanks for the response. I know that I'm limited by my fuse/breaker, but hypothetically if I connect directly to the pole. What will be the limit of current?

How about: The wire somewhere will act as fuse.

Reality says the load should drop no more than 3% of the voltage and the end of some cable. "Too much" has to be defined. As you approach the limit of the conductors ability to carry current, all of the voltage gets dropped across the resistance of the wire and the wire heats up and melts.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It varies a lot. For example, you can probably get a lot more current in an industrial park or factory than is available in a residental neighborhood. Then there are the electric steel smelters...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The closer you get to the generating plant, the more power you could theoretically draw until at the power plant, the limit would be what the total generator capacity is.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
In the UK the master incoming fuse is 100A, the prospective short circuit current (psc) is 1.65Kamps,,so anything upto that would do, then Boom!!,, :eek:

then it's broken down into separate circuits with smaller breakers, from 40amp downwards.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Thanks for the response. I know that I'm limited by my fuse/breaker, but hypothetically if I connect directly to the pole. What will be the limit of current?
It will vary depending on the supply arrangements but the supply to the pole is still protected by a circuit breaker somewhere.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

But lets just assume that I bypass the power meter and everything and directly coonect to the pole utility.
That is a practice that is not allowed anywhere.
I know there have been very dangerous cases where wheat growers tapped power.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.