What is the best sorting system for electronic components? (Show off thread)

Filand

Joined Oct 17, 2019
Hi all. What is the best way to sort electronic components?

Just got a bunch of capacitors, resistors, LED, transistors and jumper wires (all sorted in small plastic bags). Thinking either a container with multiple small containers or a index card solution.

And how are you who pack lots of stuff sorting (for future goals)? Would be cool to see how far one might take this!

Thanks.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Depends on what they are. @Wendy uses plastic bags for thru hole resistors and components. I have seen great sorting done with small compartment plastic organizers (kind folks use for hobby or fishing). They make modular systems... the parts bin type with wall hanging drawers work for some. Just be cautious of components that are static sensitive. If you get a novel solution share with us.

abrsvc

Joined Jun 16, 2018
Each person will have their own method that works for them. For me, I use a combination of 60 drawer parts cabinets and cardboard bins with coin envelopes in them. Since I provide repairs for many local shops, I focus on having repairs for as little time as possible. With that in mind, I stock many parts (last count is over 500,000). Many of these parts are small and take little room, but they add up. My main work area is about 12'x14' and that includes most of the parts. Last count, I had 64 of the 60 drawer units, about 20 of the 18 drawer equivalents (for larger parts) and 60 cardboard bins containing parts within coin envelopes. These parts are organized by type: capacitors, resistors, transistors etc.

I chose a method for transistors as an example, like this: Each transistor value has its own envelope in a bin. If I have only a few, than they are in the envelope. If there are too many to fit comfortably, then that value exists in one of drawers of a 60 drawer unit. That is indicated by underlining the value written on the envelope. In this fashion, I can use the envelopes to determine whetheri or not I have a value and also know where to find it. I use a similar setup for capacitors, resistors, diodes, etc.

I try to keep similar parts in the same area. Take resistors as an example. I have of of the 60 drawer units to hold 1/4W and 1/2W standard resistors. Each drawer as 1 value in it. 1 of the units has 60 values of 1/4W and another has 1/2W with corresponding values in the same position in each unit. In other words, a 1 Ohm resistor of 1/4W will be in the upper left hand drawer of 1 unit with the 1/2W one in the upper left hand drawer of the other. The third contains 1/4W on the left 3 columns and 1/2W on the right, again in corresponding locations. This makes locating the parts quick and easy.

This is what works for me. Others may have other ideas. Use what works for you. While I have a lot of "empty space" with this method, it prevents any searching through a pile of parts for anything specific. Having a 1-1 part to storage location makes finding things easier and fast.

Dan

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I use the Dymo labeled plastic bags for resistors, caps, xstrs, dips, etc. stored indexed in small plastic boxes for the readily useable parts. Anther cardboard box with the "overflow" parts when I buy a large lot and don't put all in the small bags. I also keep text files of the Xstrs and dips to consult when I am designing something so I have a ready index of them. to quickly consult. Also desk drawers, toolbox, bookcases, and parts cabinets for larger modules, wire, PCBs, pots, hardware, tools, and such.

Filand

Joined Oct 17, 2019
This became a lot more then I thought!! I see that all the tools and different micro controllers, heat sinks and all that jazz take lots of space too! Right now I use different oblong ice cream boxes and put cardboard dividers. Keep everything in the plastic bags the components come in. Trying to figure out something smart, it is a work in progress.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Right now I use different oblong ice cream boxes and put cardboard dividers. Keep everything in the plastic bags the components come in.
I sort of do that but found some distributors use relatively enormous plastic bags for tiny components. Those bags are space hogs. I picked up some heat sealable, static dissipative (pink) flat plastic tubing from fleabay. Here's what it looks like, except the clear is not static dissipative:
1579529924404.png

I use a heat sealer to make little pouches, cut the label from the original bag,and stuff it inside. If you fold over the top, a single staple will keep it closed enough so parts don't fall out, but you can reach in with a pair of forceps to get parts out. As an example, awhile back, I was making some filters and needed a wide variety of small value, TH capacitors (e.g., 10 pF - 220 pF). I only got 10 of each. The small heat sealed bags work great for that type of thing. For SMD's in paper strips, I label each strip, group by ranges, and store in a fishing tackle type of clear box.

Filand

Joined Oct 17, 2019
My vote goes to this

Wow, that is awesome!! That it keeps track of components is handy!

I sort of do that but found some distributors use relatively enormous plastic bags for tiny components. Those bags are space hogs. I picked up some heat sealable, static dissipative (pink) flat plastic tubing from fleabay. Here's what it looks like, except the clear is not static dissipative:
View attachment 197237

I use a heat sealer to make little pouches, cut the label from the original bag,and stuff it inside. If you fold over the top, a single staple will keep it closed enough so parts don't fall out, but you can reach in with a pair of forceps to get parts out. As an example, awhile back, I was making some filters and needed a wide variety of small value, TH capacitors (e.g., 10 pF - 220 pF). I only got 10 of each. The small heat sealed bags work great for that type of thing. For SMD's in paper strips, I label each strip, group by ranges, and store in a fishing tackle type of clear box.
Thanks! As of now I only have components from a mega pack I bought, so the bags are very packed. I will check it out, hopefully I am soon in the position where I need specific components I don't yet have.