what is "number of actions"

mccutters

Joined Feb 22, 2005
Greetings all - working on electronics lap that shows a formula for C in micro Farads = (2.25 k A n)/(t 10^7) where k is the constant, A is area and t is dielectric thickness, but what the heck is n = number of actions - what does that mean

btw I do need this formula - so a different one won't help, our test is based of it :(

I tried internet searches for "action of capcitor" and found very little

thanks if you can help
McCutters

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
C=keA/d

and that should be it.

e is 8.85x10^-12 F/m or 8.85x10^-12 C^2/N*m
k is the dielectric constant
A is the area of the plates (m^2)
d is the distance in meters between the plates

Not sure where 'actions' come into it. Caps are only functions of their physical attributes.

Don't let a professor tell you that you have to learn something a cetain way for his test. If your correct, your correct, doesn't matter what the professor thinks. If anything, present this other formula I posted and find out why he changed his and how the two relate to each other.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
The reason for "variations" in that formula are due to scaleing factors. Some people scale it to inches, Cm, mm to suite their purposes. Or in some cases they have scaled directly to uF, pF etc.

I've read it before that "actions" refers to the phenomena causing the capacitance. I dont know what else that would be except for the plates of the capacitor. Unless you have a "supernatural" capacitor :lol: .