What is needed to print wirelessly ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
A plain Canon printer, 50 feet away. Has a B type USB port.
A plain Compaq laptop with built-in Wifi. Running Linux.
Is there a simple Wifi dongle in the market that you suggest/recommend to plug into the printer to be able to print wirelessly ?

IF the type B USB port does not supply power for the dongle; I can modify the B type jack internally adding 5V to it from the printer circuitry, (Or install a type A jack) no problem there.
What settings are needed ?
The Wifi is being used by the laptop for internet provider (hot spot gadget) connection; will it be a solvable hurdle ? Shutting off internet for the moment of printing is not a hurdle.
Thank you.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You and I both know printer dongles exist. The question seems to be about Type B USB port...which is outside my expertise.

It seems to me that after that hurdle, the rest is just, "Follow the instructions that came in the box" to tell your printer dongle which network to listen to.

True?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
You and I both know printer dongles exist. The question seems to be about Type B USB port...which is outside my expertise.

It seems to me that after that hurdle, the rest is just, "Follow the instructions that came in the box" to tell your printer dongle which network to listen to.

True?
AFAIK: the "other end" USB is designed to receive power from the host device - never supply it.

Whatever gets plugged into the port on the back of the printer will need some provision to feed it power.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi.
A plain Canon printer, 50 feet away. Has a B type USB port.
A plain Compaq laptop with built-in Wifi. Running Linux.
Is there a simple Wifi dongle in the market that you suggest/recommend to plug into the printer to be able to print wirelessly ?

IF the type B USB port does not supply power for the dongle; I can modify the B type jack internally adding 5V to it from the printer circuitry, (Or install a type A jack) no problem there.
What settings are needed ?
The Wifi is being used by the laptop for internet provider (hot spot gadget) connection; will it be a solvable hurdle ? Shutting off internet for the moment of printing is not a hurdle.
Thank you.
Yes, you are looking for a wifi print server. It plugs into the wall to power it and then the usb from wifi print server to your printer. Should be 25 to $50.

GopherT's got it. A wireless print server. Been there, done that. Well, it doesn't have to be wireless, just as long as the prit server puts it on the network.
IF it's attached to a Windows PC, there is printer sharing. Not sure how to do printer sharing in Linux.