What is a good source for bench power supply cables

ajoeiam

Joined Mar 26, 2022
Greetings

Its in transit but I have an older bench power supply coming. (No cables included!)
Tried looking in mr jeff's emporium, fleabay and ms ali's- - - - 'bench power supply leads' just doesn't get me anything useful.

What search term(s) should I be using?

Favorite supplier(s)?

TIA

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

This Amazon search is a start. You are looking for “test leads” with “banana plugs” and whatever sort of “clips” you would like. The term “power supply” is also a helpful addition.

Be sure you figure out what ampacity you will need, and consider that micrograbber style clips and larger alligator clips serve different purposes and having a range is a good thing.

ajoeiam

Joined Mar 26, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

This Amazon search is a start. You are looking for “test leads” with “banana plugs” and whatever sort of “clips” you would like. The term “power supply” is also a helpful addition.

Be sure you figure out what ampacity you will need, and consider that micrograbber style clips and larger alligator clips serve different purposes and having a range is a good thing.
Thanks

What is the term for the leads that one puts between the knob and the back plate on the post?
(Hopefully my explanation makes sense!)

TIA

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The terminals are called banana posts.

1704033539572.png

The connectors that are fastened behind the posts are called spade or fork connectors.
1704033659405.png

I don't bother with the spade connectors. I simply use 16-18 AWG stranded cable and wire up with banana plugs to make my own cables.
1704033808134.png

Plain alligator clips will fit nicely on the plugs when you just need to clip on to something.
1704034015020.png

As for a supplier, I have never purchased online from this store. I just walk in. It says free shipping for orders over $100.
https://shop.sayal.com/

I was there yesterday and bought this circuit board holder for $10. It was surprisingly very well made.
1704034576342.png

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
If you want nice quality test leads, then Johnson or Pomona banana plugs and Mueller alligator clips are the way to go. Although, since Mueller isn't making clips in the USA any more, I'm buying Pico alligator clips from the autoparts store.

The flexible stranded wire used for harnesses on equipment like manlifts makes great test lead wire, if you can scrounge a length of that somehow; it comes as a wide multi-conductor zip cord in a protective jacket.