What is a "Dual Monostable Multivibrator"?

Nicholas

Joined Mar 24, 2005
Hi guys
I just fried this component on a board, by providing the board with 15V instead of 5V. I thought
I was turning the amp-dial, but it was the voltage-dial. Pretty stupid. The component 'was' a
MC8602p, and it started to smoke. I would expect all other chips on the board to become
hot (and die) as well, but only the MC8602p. CPU, PIA, 555, ram, eprom etc. none of these
seemed to get hot.

This give me the chance to learn what Dual Monostable Multivibrator is. I tried Google, but didn't
find anything I could understand :)

Thanks!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Please tell us the name and model of the computer or unit. Do show us a photo of the entire board.
MC8602P is ancient and obsolete, and so is DM9602.

You might be able to replace it with CD4528 or CD4538.

There is a chance that many more things on the board died.

Dual means "two".
So there are two "monostable multivibrators" on one package.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Please tell us the name and model of the computer or unit. Do show us a photo of the entire board.
MC8602P is ancient and obsolete, and so is DM9602.

You might be able to replace it with CD4528 or CD4538.

There is a chance that many more things on the board died.
I never realized that the 9602 and 4538 had the same pinout. I learned something today. :D

A 74123 or 74HCT123 a might be a better replacement. The 74HCT123 might be found in a DIP package with some searching. Unfortunately neither of these parts have the same pinout as the 8602. :(

I agree that many other parts probably failed. Those that did not will probably fail soon. A friend tells a story of troubleshooting a computer board that had similar abuse. The parts were failing just about as fast as their signals could be probed.