What happened to #12?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Sep 20, 2018.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    @#12 has been absent over 2 months. I didn't see anything in his last few posts to indicate that he was embroiled in any drama and I don't see him active on any other forums either, so his disappearance is a bit worrisome to me. I know he is famous for going on sabattical from time to time but that is usually out of frustration, in response to having recently been dealt a hand of uncommonly stupid and/or ungrateful noob posters. This feels different. He usually checks in with me before he goes off the grid, he usually doesn't stay gone this long, and you can usually clearly see his reason for leaving by skimming his most recent posts.

I've sent him PM weeks ago, no response. Is anyone in contact with him outside forum or did he check in with anyone else before he left? I can understand why he might not give me a heads up, as I've been all but gone myself the last few months. If you know something but don't want to publish his business publicly, please PM me just to let me know he's alive.

KJ6EAD and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  2. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    Strantor me too:(! So I know he's POed with me tnx to my big mouth and I don't blame him at all:oops:! But that doesn't change fact that I like and respect him and I've been worried abt his absence cuz like you say disappearing for no obvious reason just isn't like him:(!

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    @strantor -- Please see your PM

Very best regards
    HP

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Oh c'mon, @strantor isn't the only one wondering about what happened. Do we really need to keep secrets here? If there are privacy issues I understand, but the only people that care are the few of us that ... care.

5. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    I just hope he is fine and well. His absence has been noted by me also.

I also have to agree with:

Ron

6. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    No 'secrets' --- It's merely that I have some old contact info (for @#12) I hope may be of help -- I didn't feel at liberty to 'publish' it on the open fora...

With sincere concern
    HP

JoeJester and KJ6EAD like this.
  7. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    That would be cool. If you hear anything back from him you can just mention a few were concerned when he dropped off the radar.

Ron

#12 and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  8. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I've been in contact with him via the email address provided in PM. He's alive, in good health. Everything is OK. He didn't cite any reason for his absence but he did mention being very busy, so maybe that's all there is to it.

Thank you @Hypatia's Protege

#12, cmartinez, Sinus23 and 6 others like this.
  9. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Ya know, I've been wondering what happened to "GopherT" also.

He/she suddenly disappeared from the board and I've never heard from him/her since. Is there a Bermuda Triangle or a black hole on AAC where members suddenly vanish without a trace?

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    More generally I think the issue of a member disappearing has been raised before here, whether it's a appropriate to perform a "wellness check". I think that would mean someone like jrap himself (someone with access to member data) sending off an email to inquire as to the status of the member.

I'm guessing this is currently an ad hoc process. Plenty of members drop off the radar all the time. Triggering a wellness check would only be relevant to members that were once regulars, perhaps the so-called "fanatics" or "experts", and have disappeared unexpectedly. (Some departures/flame outs are well-documented.)

Maybe this is rare enough to just handle on a case by case basis.

I'm not sure the internet in general has come to grips with what happens to a persons's digital footprint when they pass way.

#12 and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  11. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
    I just kinda figured he was overhauling a tugboat or something.

#12 likes this.
  12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I contacted him a little while back and he mentioned he was tied up with life's demands.
    But he would keeps tabs on.
    Max.

13. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    I haven't been here nearly as much as I used to be, retired life has been hectic for me.

#12 and panic mode like this.
  14. Mickster

Jan 10, 2010
    Gopher has been active over at ETO

Regards.

15. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Gopher is fine. As mentioned active over at ETO. He was sort of banned by moderation here.

Ron

Sinus23 and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  16. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Received another communique from #12. He says he isn't coming back. He's moved on to another chapter of life. The online forum thing was just a phase that is over now. I let him know that he will be missed and that he has made a permanent positive contribution to the world here.

#12, gerty, cmartinez and 7 others like this.
  17. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Really sorry to hear that.

18. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    There are numerous other forums that some members visit. Some may just need a vacation now and then.

19. KJ6EAD

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 30, 2011
    #12 still holds the "most likes" title. A unique blend of broad expert knowledge, personality and engagement over time will do that I guess. :cool:

#12, Hypatia's Protege and shortbus like this.
  20. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    18,000+ posts doesn't hurt, either.

#12 and I got along swimmingly for a while. He had some interests that perfectly coincided with mine, and we collaborated on a few things in the background.

It seems my strong advocacy of Linux rubbed him the wrong way at some point, and we had a falling out. I never fully understood why.