What gives with price parts on ebay??

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What am I missing?
Browsing through some ebay listings, I happened on this ad 184330021242 Item listed as regulator, shows a photo of a 10k pot, appears to be one of the cheap Chinese sourced varieties.
Listed for $35.00 p/p $10.
NINE SOLD.
Another shows same with Knob $45.00
I must be in the wrong business. o_O

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you are in the business of buying parts then yes, you are in the wrong business now.
If you have new, parts for sale and are an authorized dealer for those parts, you are in the right business.

After waiting for about a year my in-country distributor of On/Fairchild parts is finally expecting a delivery of TO-92 2N3904's in about six weeks. The 100 quantity price is more than double what they were at the start of 2021.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm not saying it applies to the site you mention, but two possible reasons this sort of thing is seen might be
1) Money-laundering site, not doing actual business
2) Wishful thinking on an advertiser's part, hoping that some non-savvy victim would bite without price-comparing other sites.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
2) Wishful thinking on an advertiser's part, hoping that someone non-savvy victim would bite without price-comparing other sites.
Obviously his wishes are coming true! :)
With 9 sold already !
I picked up 10 similar C/W knobs for $1.50 ea.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Obviously his wishes are coming true! :)
With 9 sold already !
I'd say there's something unethical going on. Cronies buying parts to make it seem like others think it's a good deal or bidding to drive up prices. I won't buy anything that says it ships from China. Prices for most things have gotten ridiculous and you have to worry about counterfeits or low quality product.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I'd say there's something unethical going on. Cronies buying parts to make it seem like others think it's a good deal or bidding to drive up prices. I won't buy anything that says it ships from China. Prices for most things have gotten ridiculous and you have to worry about counterfeits or low quality product.
These appear to be the same as the Chinese products, but shipped from the US.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
These appear to be the same as the Chinese products, but shipped from the US.
It could be a seller in China who has gotten smart and tries to hide the origin of his parts by having parts in the US, or a disreputable/clueless US based seller who's living the American Drean and buying low and selling high.

If I'm going to buy low quality knockoffs and/or counterfeit goods, I try to cut out as many of the middlemen as I can.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But a $1.50 part rip off just because the application is an antique!
You can bet your boots they are not OEM parts! o_O

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Even so, they look to be vintage and perhaps the correct geometry/dimensions. Many modern pots are smaller and flimsier than their earlier versions.
So are you saying those look like the 'real thing'?
I wouldn't say so, they look exactly identical to the ones I have.
Someone is getting conned IMO.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just what I heard some time ago. When you see things with very high prices on Ebay it's because the seller doesn't have the part at the moment, they are sold out and waiting for new stock. Ebay's system if you close an item for sale you loose the related stuff, like the number of them sold and the reviews. So when a seller is going to keep selling a item they jack up the price to a point where no one would consider buying, and when the new stock arrives they put the price back to normal. The system allows a price change without loosing the related information.

Again don't know how true it is, just what someone I know that sells stuff on Ebay said when I asked him about this.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Just what I heard some time ago. When you see things with very high prices on Ebay it's because the seller doesn't have the part at the moment, they are sold out and waiting for new stock. Ebay's system if you close an item for sale you loose the related stuff, like the number of them sold and the reviews. So when a seller is going to keep selling a item they jack up the price to a point where no one would consider buying, and when the new stock arrives they put the price back to normal. The system allows a price change without loosing the related information.

Again don't know how true it is, just what someone I know that sells stuff on Ebay said when I asked him about this.
It is perfectly true about losing the valuable sales stats that add credibility to a seller.

Also, the person buying replacement parts is happy to spend too much for an amplifier that he paid too much for so, who is getting screwed. The amplifier owner would feel like he was cheated by the manufacturer if the potentiometer wasn't only $1.50. Paying $49 for the pot validates his decision to pay $8000 for the amplifier. Again, who is getting screwed?

Finally, the comments above about money laundering is true, it happens all the time. Money laundering was one of the reasons behind $10,000 Beanie Baby stuffed animal toys about 15-years ago. One person would buy a $5 toy and post it for $10,000. The same person or his friend with stolen money would use the twined cash to buy the toy and now the cash has an audit trail. The manufacturer may have also amplified the excitement by buying a few of those $10,000 beanie babies off ebay to make the public think they have some collectable value. Cheap advertising (publicity).

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Isn't it easy for a seller to 'fake' the sales figures and reviews by buying from himself and writing his own reviews?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Isn't it easy for a seller to 'fake' the sales figures and reviews by buying from himself and writing his own reviews?
Yes, but eBay charges about 12% of each sale. It's an eBay violation to sell to yourself or a friend. They have software that attempts to spot obvious attempts to self-deal or deal through friends.