What else is in SIGLENT SDG2082X price range ?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
So If this thing can create a sqr wave up to 1MHz or what ever, what about programing it to output binary ? If you wanted to, or had a reason to, how hard is it to do that ?
IMO in the EasyWaveX wave editor will be the simplest then upload it to the AWG and if you want save it locally for future use.
EasyWaveX has not been out long so might not be on the CD that comes with the unit.
You can download it here:
https://siglentna.com/download/16850/
Be sure to check the install guide and install it before connecting your new SDG to your PC otherwise Windows will think it knows best and use the wrong USB and/or LAN connectivity drivers. You need install the NIVISA Runtime package for these drivers that support EasyWave connectivity. RTFM and you'll be OK.

There's a few pages of usage guidance here:
https://siglentna.com/operating-tips/sdg2000x-series

For binary or any package of bits you also have the option to capture it with a Siglent DSO and upload it into the AWG for it to be reconstructed for output and/or saved if necessary for future use.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Great. As for coax and BNC connectors, all I have right now is cable TV coax. I'll have to get a few things yet I suppose.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Great. As for coax and BNC connectors, all I have right now is cable TV coax. I'll have to get a few things yet I suppose.
SDG2000X models come with a single Siglent 1 GHz rated 1m BNC cable as listed in the standard accessories.
That will at least get you going and connected to a scope to learn a bit about the AWG.
To be reasonably provisioned get an additional 2 or 3 BNC cables, a BNC T (or 2) and a couple of BNC to Croc clip leads.

If you have a 75 ohm cable already when you get the unit and its 50 ohm cable an exercise will to compare signal fidelity with different waveforms and frequencies.
Have fun. :)

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Yeah I never added accessories to my budget, or faster shipping, so it's still not here. I need to study up on all this yet anyways.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Hey TauTech I have the SDG2042X and the hacked SPD3303X-E,
for low current DC, what's the real difference between the 2 ? Is there anything the AWG can do better at DC ? The PSU tells me the current. (RTFM for the spec's I know) but also

They both have relay's switching, as I go across their ranges. What about just general wear and tear ? I should not waste the lifetime of the AWG at DC, but does it actually matter, how "happy" is it at DC for extended periods ? ?

What about right down under 1V, the AWG being 16-bit will do 1 thing to divide that up, how does the way it does it differ from the PSU. ?

As you change the knob on the PSU, or program it to change, how horrible (or not) is the PSU as a changing voltage source ? IDk how modern PSU's work, that aren't SMPS.

For all I know, they might share a lot of the same chips.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
The PSU relays you hear clicking are the transformer secondary taps changing so to reduce the overvoltage (and heat dissipation) on the regulator stage. This helps efficiency and unneeded fan noise.
Current can't be controlled in the AWG like it can in the PSU.
The AWG is handy as another PSU source, no more and no less and appropriate for a developed and proven circuit where you don't require current limiting to prevent the magic smoke escaping.

The SPD3303X is a far better featured PSU than the DC output from a SDG2000X will ever be so continue to use it as your main current source. Yet there are some things you can do with the SDG like provide a low frequency low current AC (sinewave) for a rectification stage in some circuit you might build.
The uses are only as large as your imagination. ;)

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Thanks, yeah so barely use it for that, too easy to damage something. Great, I think tonight, I'll build some of a J-JET circuit on copper clad, and see how it responds. On the breadboard, it's DC seemed ok, but nothing was oscillating well enough, to even work.

I see the PSU does have a 16-bit DAC, so it like 1023 steps per volt, across 32V, right ?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Thanks, yeah so barely use it for that, too easy to damage something. Great, I think tonight, I'll build some of a J-JET circuit on copper clad, and see how it responds. On the breadboard, it's DC seemed ok, but nothing was oscillating well enough, to even work.

I see the PSU does have a 16-bit DAC, so it like 1023 steps per volt, across 32V, right ?
SPD3303X has 1mV/1mA resolution so just 1000 steps/V.
SDG2000X while having a 16 bit ADC still is only capable of 1mV adjustments as a DC supply and only up to 10V IIRC.

Where the SDG2000X 16 bit ADC shines is in the much smaller steps in the amplitude of a waveform during reconstruction to an analog output.
See this pic from SDG2000X webpage for further info: