What else is in SIGLENT SDG2082X price range ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
In 3 weeks I could a new scope (I have 3-4, so no rush) or I could get my 1st real AWG. I was thinking I'd get the SDG1032X, but I'm only getting deeper into EE, so I might as well spent near what I would anyways, and not only go 1/2 way. So then I saw the SDG2082X is not much more money, and is 80MHz.

So that's ~600USD, I guess there's a lot more over $1,000, but this is just for hobby/repair. What else is in that price range ? Also I'm getting the SDS1104X-E, so that's a big big reason to also get a Siglent AWG

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Those that want to pair an AWG with the SDS1104X-E are generally quite happy with SDG1000X models as both the 30 and 60 MHz versions do square wave to the max frequency whereas all SDG2000X models max out @ 25 MHz.
Of course there's the HW limitations of pushing square waves to higher frequencies and maintaining reasonable signal fidelity.
If you really need to push into the higher frequencies there's also SDG6022X but it's 1500 notes.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Hey TauT, so I watched a video on the 2122X, and the 8.33ns rise time, and he showed the linear slope region of the sqr.wav but so why can't they make a higher Freq sq.wav on the improved 2000X series ?

I of the similar Rigol's has a lot more pre-programed waveforms, but since the 2000X can be hooked to PC, can you make and save as many as you want on PC ? And also I could hook to the 1104X, and have the SDG2000 try and copy the waveform, that's pretty cool.

There's a bunch of siglent wave generators, I'd say I'll get the 2082X

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
HEY so are the SDG2042X was hackable, but not anymore ? Understandable if so. Actually I bet they are all hack-able, just well over most people's skill and resource level LOL. I better say that before some hacker somewhere falls off their chair laughing.

Last edited:

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Hey TauT, so I watched a video on the 2122X, and the 8.33ns rise time, and he showed the linear slope region of the sqr.wav but so why can't they make a higher Freq sq.wav on the improved 2000X series ?
IDK exactly however I suspect it's a HW slew rate limitation in the output stages. The various teardown videos online should give you info about the devices used and their datasheets will reveal the rest.;)
I of the similar Rigol's has a lot more pre-programed waveforms, but since the 2000X can be hooked to PC, can you make and save as many as you want on PC ?
All Siglents AWG's allow for importing of waveforms which you can generate on the free EasyWave SW of which there's just been a new updated version released.
And also I could hook to the 1104X, and have the SDG2000 try and copy the waveform, that's pretty cool.
Yep, but it's a brand specific thing and attempting to copy a captured waveform from another brand while not impossible is also not straightforward.
There's a bunch of siglent wave generators, I'd say I'll get the 2082X
Yep, probably the best choice for your needs.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
HEY so are the SDG2042X was hackable, but not anymore ? Understandable if so. Actually I bet they are all hack-able, just well over most people's skill and resource level LOL. I better say that before some hacker somewhere falls off their chair laughing.
:)
Apparently so but as a dealer for them I can't confirm or deny. ;)

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Yeah, I found this post
Even without hacking, it is possible to exceed 40 MHz on the SDG2042x: just provide a waveform of several periods, e. g. 10, and the frequency will be 10 times the programmed frequency. The Easywave software provided by Siglent allows it, just enter "sin(10*x)", and it does the job. This software runs on a PC connected to the generator via Ethernet or USB.
I could do ton's with my $10 func. gen kit, is the truth. But the 2082X would only cost me ~$110 more than the 2042X.

In the long term, I just want to save money, a 80MHz label BW is so comforting. IDK....either will be great

For a month I was settled on the 1032X and was happy. Then I find out my tax return rebate, so I was thrilled when I saw the 2082x spec's,

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I was going to buy this from Ontario, Canada next week when I get money. But now they are closing most stores it seems. I better look around, but that was the cheapest place I found. They sell on Amazon too, but not this ATM.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Have you checked the website for other suppliers ?
On the map here just click on your region for local agents:
https://siglentna.com/how-to-buy/
Thanks, google never listed those other in Canada. The price went up near %10 just lately, where I was planning to get it. And Transcat and amazon are more, and are shipping from Asia, so it could take 2 months. That's a long time in such crazy times, I probably shouldn't do that. I want it from within US/Canada already.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Oh man the shipping price on amazon, from China, is way up too. And both places I phoned in Toronto, Ontario, aren't answering today, and haven't responded to email from last week. People are staying home.

Siglent needs to step up it's retail in NA, this sucks. I can't believe I saved all this money all year and now might not even be able to get it shipped. I would have guessed I just spent the money.

From China it takes either 1 or 2 months, that's the only 2 option's so far. WW4 could start by then, and I want to be ready with an AWG and SDS1104X-E next month.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
You can buy direct from Ohio but then you might have additional freight and border costs.
Re availability and costs, since the virus outbreak in China all factory deliveries have been delayed as the factory was shut for an additional 2 weeks more than their 2 week spring break. This alone impacted on the stock I had available. Also all worldwide airfreight is much reduced and cargo loadings are high so prices have increased too.
We live in interesting times. Stay safe.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I could get the scope 1st, a lot more places carry that so it should in Canada already
Certainly the DSO feature set has a larger learning curve than the AWG and getting it first will cement in familiarity with its UI instead of attempting to cram learning of both in together.
If you do consider starting a thread about anything you have trouble getting your head around and I'll help you through it.
Don't know what other scopes you've used but you'll be quite amazed of the capability of these nice little DSO's.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
DV is in Canada so delivery and border costs adds significantly to the purchase price.
Usually not a problem cross-border from US/Canada except the exchange rate and maybe a couple more dollars to UPS for transport due to distance. And Ohio is on the border. He is likely closer to them than I am when I ordered from them.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
So far it seems it would cost more from the US., I'm looking at ~800CAD total on Amazon, and near 900 from the states (the 2042X was $720CAD total most all winter)

Now on amazon the scope price has jumped a lot too, basically another $50US for the shipping. So that's not fair, but that's it.

Dam, just bad timing.

SiglentNA had a killer deal on the1104x-e earlier this year, then it would have been cheaper to order from the US

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
It's on the way, should arrive mon/Tuesday.
Excellent, and this is 2 channels

So If this thing can create a sqr wave up to 1MHz or what ever, what about programing it to output binary ? If you wanted to, or had a reason to, how hard is it to do that ? (not the intended use I know)

I can't wait till it get's here, this will be my 2nd piece of new, quality gear, and not some old 2nd hand EE tech.

Last edited: