what does voltage is dropped across the resistor mean?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Keep in mind also that conductors also have some resistance in them in which case a small amount of voltage is still being used up in each section of wire. This in itself will allow electrons to be returned to their origin. On a very basic level :)
I don't follow. It would seem you are claiming that they couldn't be returned to their origin if the conductors didn't have resistance? What about when superconductors are used?

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
i think to understand the answer you need to get into the physics of it all. but for the basis of the answer, look at electronvolt

i dont think there is any "accumulation" of electrons anywhere along the path since they take up physical space. the energy given up across a resistor is the energy the electron loses (eV) for having to cross that boundary. the amount of energy is proportional to amps^2, which has direct relationship to potential diff & ohms, etc.

in superconducting the best you can do is 100% efficiency, this does not mean the electrons dont give up their energy, they do, there just isnt any wasted energy in terms of heat. cant get work w/o an exchange of energy, etc.

Last edited: