qitara

Joined Jan 18, 2013

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you would like to know how I modified your post:

How to link text to a website
I converted your image to a .png file usin copy paste into MS Paint, then uploaded the file. and copied the images URL address then displayed it using the Base band code (url) URL address(/img) Use brackets instead of parenthesis [] ().

Wendy's Index

To tag me in a post and get my attention just type @Wendy and I will respond as soon as I can. Fact is I like helping people.

One of the reason they hired me around here, Though I still haven't gotten paid dagnabit!

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It's not easy to determine the manufacturer of that component. I think I see an N in a circle. I'm not familiar with that one. If it's (for instance) "National Semidonductor" you might try their website and see if you can find something on identifying part marking.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Converting an image to PNG is anti-helpful.

They may be tantalum capacitors. Because the image is PNG I can't use the viewers I have on this computer to actually zoom in to a decent amount of detail and very easily tweak the contrast, brightness, etc for a better view.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
went to a different computer

It certainly looks like the ON Semi logo, which would mean is isn't a capacitor, and very likely to be a diode.

It is interesting that two adjacent parts have different markings but are in exactly the same package. This suggests to me that they might be transient suppressor diodes or general-purpose zener diodes.

Surface mount semi's are often marked with either a totally cryptic code of two characters that you simply cannot decipher in any logical way or some fragment of the full part number. There are some internet sources of lists of codes versus full part numbers.

qitara

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Sorry Guys... I confused the B on the B34 for 1334. The B looks like 13. any how i can now find the part on the manufacturer website ON Semiconductors in this case. The issue now is that i don't have a replacement part for it so what can be used in place of it ?.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Weird! That production line must make the markings using a stencil which requires the "broken" characters. Sandblasting? Most things like that have be laser marked for a very long time, which produces nicely formed characters, though sometimes they're hard to read because the strokes are so "thin."

In any case - Are you unable to obtain the exact replacement? It is still in production. It is fairly high current rating for a Schottky diode in that package, but there are likely other manufacturers producing a usable equivalent. The SMC package is very close to the the JEDEC DO-214AB package.

The B34 is an MBRS340. I would have thought they'd simply use the 5 A part in both locations, but perhaps the 3 A part has some advantage is some detail. It may be for no other reason than that it costs a couple of cents less than the MBRS540 and the board is made in sufficient volume to warrant the saving. Consumer equipment is like that - every fraction of a cent is scraped off the cost whenever possible.