What caused the explosion of the capacitors in this scheme ?

Forum Algérie

Joined Oct 1, 2016
Hello everyone,

Check the scheme bellow.
I used two filtering capacitors of 2200 MFD, each one supports 400V DC, and they're connected in series. So the capacitor bank ( the two in series) can support up to 750V.
I was applying only 535V DC on the capacitor bank. The PWM sampling frequency (sawtooth frequency ) was 1000Hz.
The phase current was only 1.5A, so it didn't reach the max current supported by the motor which is 2.75A.
The motor was making some weird noise, but i was controlling it's speed with no problem.
After a while of functioning, about 2 minutes, the two capacitors exploded.

So, can anyone tell me why did the capacitors explode?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Capacitors explode because of too much charge. Usually because of too much voltage. Put a voltmeter on your dc bus.........and watch when you lower the speed. You might be getting a regenerative effect.
Increase the cap voltage....and increasing the capacitance will help too. I assume you have a current limiting charge circuit for the diodes.

Forum Algérie

Joined Oct 1, 2016

Forum Algérie

Joined Oct 1, 2016
Capacitors explode because of too much charge. Usually because of too much voltage. Put a voltmeter on your dc bus.........and watch when you lower the speed. You might be getting a regenerative effect.
Increase the cap voltage....and increasing the capacitance will help too. I assume you have a current limiting charge circuit for the diodes.
Could be high ESR.
I have replaced exploded caps in Huge A/C's. They are in series across a 3 phase bridge.
Well, i didn't use this kind of capacitors, ... i used aluminum electrolytic ones.

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
This is basically poor design. Although the capacitors have voltage dividing resistors all it takes is one capacitor to develop a higher than normal leakage current and the other capacitor gets too much voltage and blows.

Much better to have a single capacitor correctly rated.

Actually to handle the ripple current better to have a number (at least two) capacitors in parallel. Aluminium electrolytic capacitors are not reliable at high voltages and high ripple currents. High-value non-electrolytic capacitors are available but are expensive so not used where cost matters!