What are skills needed to be a successful automotive embedded engineer?

carecmmaster

Joined Aug 10, 2021
Hello Guys I am confused about what should I do after completed automotive embedded engineering? what skills should I learn to be a successful automotive embedded engineer. should I develop my skills to learn car ecm repairing training, and something else, please anyone have idea about can share me.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello Guys I am confused about what should I do after completed automotive embedded engineering? what skills should I learn to be a successful automotive embedded engineer. should I develop my skills to learn car ecm repairing training, and something else, please anyone have idea about can share me.
In addition to the standard array of technical skills there is a whole panoply of political and social skills that you need to master if you want to work for one of the "the bigs". It will be far easier to thrive and survive if you work for a supplier or systems integrator.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I am curious. What school and course did you attend to attain your automotive engineering degree? I have never seen a course offered for such. I don't know where you live or what wrecking yards are available to you, but you may want to familiarize yourself with network topologies in vehicles, pull some ECM's apart and see how they are laid out, how different OEMs manage their systems. As for work, @Papabravo gives good advice.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I worked in Detroit for 2 years, for a R&D company. Products = Electronics for car, big trucks, subway car, tractor, bus, advertising signs, etc.
Imbedded micros, digital, FPGA, analog, power, battery, test equipment, some hardware, .....
What I am saying is; have a wide skill set. Each project is either exactly like the last or completely different.
Many engineers worked on the assembly line. Like quality control or test and measurement.
There are many spots for engineers that program the very small micro-computers. Some one needs to make the PCB for the computer. "Automotive power supply" is not as easy as it looks. It is not just "12V to 5V".

What skill set? You will never know until, sitting in the interview room and "Can you ______". By then it is a little late. Then on you first project the man said "actually we need you to ______". On your 20 project project "The company was just bought out by the Chinese and you will be doing ___________". The economy went to Hell and you will be doing something different like fast food.

40 years from now you will look back and think that much of what you learned was learned on the job, built on the foundation of school. Never, never stop learning.