What to do when skills fade ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
When decades of activity building prototypes collide with trembling hands, degrading vision, and the to-do-list is still populated backed by some leftover adrenaline...
What to do to complete some projects in the list ?
Checked with electronics technical schools in my rural area to find someone to mentor/pay to build gadgets, and find no electronics students nor interest in anything but fuc***ng nintendos and alike.
Any ideas to find kids with interests in electronics ? I cannot even find a public or not library or -who- to donate my books and old magazines :oops: Not to mention zillion components...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I asked a friend of mine years ago (a vascular surgeon) that same question. The answer? Experience compensates for skill, at least for awhile. Find ways to cope.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Any ideas to find kids with interests in electronics ?
Is there an Amateur Radio Club in your area? If they are affiliated with ARRL contacting their web site might give you a number to call or email contact. I didn't get any help when I asked my local one even though I was one of the founding members/officers decades ago but they are at least somewhat talented in electronics. It is frustrating to not be able to do the things that you used to able to and normal for most folks. Good Luck! Sam

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You might have better luck finding a unicorn.
There's always a chance of finding someone by chance. Networking among friends and family might also find some options. The child or acquaintance of a friend or family member might be more hesitant about blowing someone off.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
the first rule of having any knowledge or skill, is paying for that.teaching to others ,publishing in online websites (allaboutcircuits,github,instructables,stackoverflow,etc). and then "One good turn deserves another".