Skills

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You've gotta be kidding me... Not once did I see a machining jig. How in the hell do they expect the parts to mate!?!? Must have a HUGE pile of rejects even if they make the bore holes sloppy. Goulds pumps they are not even if they did steal their paint scheme.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You've gotta be kidding me... Not once did I see a machining jig. How in the hell do they expect the parts to mate!?!? Must have a HUGE pile of rejects even if they make the bore holes sloppy. Goulds pumps they are not even if they did steal their paint scheme.
Those are precision cast parts. A few hits with an angle grinder makes it all mate perfectly.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Comments from video #1:
Man those were some sketchy lathe setups.
This explains the dirt in the sanitary oiled areas of imported engines and pumps.
I want to know the dark art behind the drill-pressed keyway in the impeller at 7:35. Did he just drill down real close to the bore wall and then rip sideways through it? Trick could have saved days of my life.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The castings are probably OK but drilling flange and frame holes by hand for mated parts!?!? Typical construction/machining methods from 150 years ago except for the power tools. I wonder where their lathes and drill presses came from as they look circa 1940s... Probably UK and US throwaways...

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I think installing bearings races and bearings on dirt floors and driving it home with a guy in the next workstation free-styling with a grinder is the key to making a pump that lasts the rest of those worker's lives - which may be about November or December.

I'm going to contact the guy at 1:15 to see if he'll sell his aluminum-dust impregnated T-shirt.

CA067F0E-5457-4B87-A73C-C6858BE7C26B.jpeg

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think installing bearings races and bearings on dirt floors and driving it home with a guy in the next workstation free-styling with a grinder is the key to making a pump that lasts the rest of those worker's lives - which may be about November or December.
You and anyone else taking exception to the anti-5S workspaces, may find videos like below more to your liking. Making diamonds on a lathe in clean room, shot by an OCD Japanese hand model:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
You and anyone else taking exception to the anti-5S workspaces, may find videos like below more to your liking. Making diamonds on a lathe in clean room, shot by an OCD Japanese hand model:

Taking exception to anti-5s? Which process was done by a craftsman that was nudging and short-stepping to an edge and eyeballing alignments to make a product with specifications so tight yet so obvious that a customer would likely complain about an error. Which process looked like there was an obvious process and process steps that could be written and followed to make a product that likely looks and functions like the product made yesterday without complaints from a customer?

I think you missed the goal of 5s, to repeat processes over and over the same way that results in the same acceptable product at least 999,999 times for every time you make a piece of scrap.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I made a similar cutoff saw, but I'm lucky enough to have machine tools. I have an abrasive cutoff saw but hate both the smell and mess when using it. I found out about the Freud steel cutting saw blades and then started making a saw to use one. Only regret is I used a 10" blade, wish I'd gone with a 12". https://www.freudtools.com/products/LU6A15

Like the guy in that video I first used a belt to drive it, but after ripping teeth out of the blade due to the belt slipping and then restarting after letting up on the pressure, I changed to belt drive to #35 chain. Bought another blade and no more tooth breaking problem.

This saw was to make things easier when I started my mini crawler project. A lot of rectangular tube, square tube and angle iron needed to be cut for the tracks, and the cut off band saw doesn't cut as square or as fast as this cold saw can do it.