Skills

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You've gotta be kidding me... Not once did I see a machining jig. How in the hell do they expect the parts to mate!?!? Must have a HUGE pile of rejects even if they make the bore holes sloppy. Goulds pumps they are not even if they did steal their paint scheme.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You've gotta be kidding me... Not once did I see a machining jig. How in the hell do they expect the parts to mate!?!? Must have a HUGE pile of rejects even if they make the bore holes sloppy. Goulds pumps they are not even if they did steal their paint scheme.
Those are precision cast parts. A few hits with an angle grinder makes it all mate perfectly.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Comments from video #1:
Man those were some sketchy lathe setups.
This explains the dirt in the sanitary oiled areas of imported engines and pumps.
I want to know the dark art behind the drill-pressed keyway in the impeller at 7:35. Did he just drill down real close to the bore wall and then rip sideways through it? Trick could have saved days of my life.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The castings are probably OK but drilling flange and frame holes by hand for mated parts!?!? Typical construction/machining methods from 150 years ago except for the power tools. I wonder where their lathes and drill presses came from as they look circa 1940s... Probably UK and US throwaways...