Skills

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I just cannot understand the predisposition to sitting and crouching to work, nor can I respect the feeble footwear these guys wear in factory setting. Might there be a market selling workbenches to these guys?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Are you talking about a pantograph/CNC sewing machine? I dated a woman that was a quilter, and on a really good quilt she would send it to a place that did that sewing. An expensive quilt has a pattern sewn into it to keep the batting in place. For an every day quilt they usually just stitch around the edges of the squares to keep the batting in place. She did a few quilts for some customers that the CNC sewing was worth it to them.
My ex was a quilter. For special quilts, she used to send them out for the CNC quilting. It was a very effective effect.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
My ex was a quilter. For special quilts, she used to send them out for the CNC quilting. It was a very effective effect.
It takes the work of a quilt to a new level. Most that don't know about it don't even notice it, I know I didn't, until she showed me one with the pattern stitching.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Wife's grandmother was a quilter and gave us some she made, but my grandmothers were tatters, and we have several lace doilies and antimacassars they made. They used a lot of tatted lace and men's hair pomade in the early 1900s. My paternal grandmother also made cast nets out of linen twine using an actual piece of carved cow horn for the nets horn. They didn't last very long (<10 years even repaired before the linen rotted and they succumbed to oyster shell cuts) and all I have left of one is the piece of cow horn used.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Get off my algorithm, man. Seriously, youtube must think you and I are the same people.
Your algorithm? Dude, I started this thread. ;) Growing up on a farm gave me a fondness for tractors and things mechanical. We also had an old blacksmiths shop in town that I loved to watch repairing broken metal parts with a coke furnace and hammers.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Your algorithm? Dude, I started this thread. ;) Growing up on a farm gave me a fondness for tractors and things mechanical. We also had an old blacksmiths shop in town that I loved to watch repairing broken metal parts with a coke furnace and hammers.

Well maybe I need to get off your algorithm then! I was going to reply "YouTube doesn't know anything about who posted what on AAC" but then I thought about it, and decided that it probably does.

It is uncanny though; nearly every video you've posted recently, in this thread and elsewhere, are videos that YouTube curated for me too. Uncanny enough that I decided to take screenshots of the first 100 videos YouTube displayed when I opened it, to see how many of them are also in your feed. If you've got time, check them out and let me know.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Well maybe I need to get off your algorithm then! I was going to reply "YouTube doesn't know anything about who posted what on AAC" but then I thought about it, and decided that it probably does.

It is uncanny though; nearly every video you've posted recently, in this thread and elsewhere, are videos that YouTube curated for me too. Uncanny enough that I decided to take screenshots of the first 100 videos YouTube displayed when I opened it, to see how many of them are also in your feed. If you've got time, check them out and let me know.
I have several accounts on YouTube. Only one loves tractors.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Exact reason there was a big stink over chinese made grade 8 bolts used in steel building construction back in the 80s. Even though they were marked grade 8 they were not and went into quite a few structural steel buildings and bridges worldwide including in the US. As to concrete, there is a huge variability in concrete specifications depending on the intended use. We constructed blast walls with 12" block with vertical rebar and poured high strength concrete inside them. Plus, as it was poured it was also vibrated to remove all air voids and increasing its strength even more. Critical pours are sampled, and strength tested by grab samples collected during the pour and sent to a certified ASTM lab for testing.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I just cannot understand the predisposition to sitting and crouching to work, nor can I respect the feeble footwear these guys wear in factory setting. Might there be a market selling workbenches to these guys?
Squatting and crouching is good for your back. It is also a cultural habit as well as an advanced skill

Screenshot_2021-12-15-16-48-06~2.png

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The artist who owns that channel definitely has the video editing skills to do that, but I believe they also have the artist skills to do it legitimately. You should check out some of the other videos. If only just to call their validity into question one by one also (go ahead, don't expect me to debate each one).

It doesn't cost the channel owner to post the full video on YouTube but they never do. Just a heavily edited fast motion version.
I could go into detail and it seems like more work than hand drawing 1400 frames but, hand drawing 1400 is hella work.
You can send a video through a simple pencil filter and the segment is done in no time. I'm sure they took a few and hand made a few (even the outlines were already in place on the hand shaded cards when detail Real time was shown for a few seconds.
Stacking them is an age old video editing technique and similar operation is done on each intro of Modern Family sitcom.
Here is the photoshop of a pencil filter...
A656DF7A-75C1-4F90-AB17-F84B5374D08E.jpeg7E0F0374-961E-45AC-A0D2-4C5CBF1438BC.jpeg

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Liked this video, the only thing I can see he could do better would be as the tires turn, his trailer cutter could have some sort of moving sheer, second I would wield a hitch on the front of that, track / mini dump truck to move other trailer like equipment. I’ve seen the guys at the rental places do that, easier. Of course now i’m further into the video and he’s modifying again, this guy is clever. Ah, the snow roller.

All I can say, I know where this is going, at 10:27 into it. But, I will say I want that Track / Mini Dump Truck thingy. lol I will add emphasis to the want / I have no need because my property is so small. But, if I was in the woods and had a shop e.g. stuff like what he’s dealing with yah damn rights I would.

Loved it.

kv