Waveform monitor VS Oscilloscope

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
What is the difference between a waveform monitor compared to an Oscilloscope?
What can a waveform monitor do that an oscilloscope can't?
I know a waveform monitor has special filters for video signals on the input that an Oscilloscope doesn't have.
On a Oscilloscope it can be really hard to trigger on the vertical sync or horizontal sync
RGB, green on sync
VGA, has H-sync on pin#13 and V- sync pin#14
Composite, has H-sync and V-sync combined

A waveform monitor must have video separator IC chips internally on the waveform monitors input?
Because using the Oscilloscopes Trigger line or Trigger Video Field it still makes it hard to trigger on RGB, VGA, Composite sync signals

When measuring RGB on an Oscilloscope. I use the External trigger on the Green on sync channel, use ch1 to measure the video signal

When measuring VGA on an Oscilloscope. I use Channel#2 for the H-sync on VGA pin#13 and Channel#3 for the V-sync on VGA pin#14, then use channel#1 for the video signal. I set the Oscilloscope Mode to ADD. It will ADD all the channels and set the trigger mode to trigger either on channel#2 or #3

When Measuring Composite video on an Oscilloscope. I use Ch1 for the video signal and set the triggering for video line or video field.

Any reason why the NTCS standards make the sync signals negative going? and not positive going?

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
I'm still getting Untriggered video waveform Displayed on my Oscilloscope. The Problem is the video syncing with the Oscilloscope

Can a Video Test Bar generator just output one color at a time and how can i do this?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
a waveform monitor is an osciliscope, psecialized for video waveforms, not a gemneral purpose oaciliscope. as for outputing one color at a time on a bar generator, that is up to the manufacturer of the generator, read the instructions.

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
How do you troubleshoot video circuits, when you can't output one color at a time on a bar generator?
I'm trying to troubleshoot video circuits that are RGB, composite, component

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
then you need to get a generator that will output one color at a time. not all bar generators have the same features. sencore builds some that do let you output one color at a time, as well as setting all the parameters, such as v and h rate, synch polarity, rgb or composite video and such. my little b&k does not have all these features.

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
What model of the sencore does this please, any software programs do this on the computer?

I'm having a problem with syncing the V and H to the Oscope with video signals that are RGB, VGA, Composite, component, S-video

How do you sycn this video signals to the oscope?