Water Usage & Creative City Accounting

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@shortbus each meter can have the same frequency. The reading is taken by proximity Each report can have the number of gallons used and the serial number of the meter - which is then correlated to your account and not mine.

OR they may be connected via cell tower data. Truth is - I don't know how they do it. It's probably a fairly closely guarded secret. Not intended for general population. But there's probably more information out there than I can imagine.
We have them here and they still have the meter reader walking house to house so what ever they do is not very strong of a signal. The reader puts her "instrument" (no hidden meaning for the word instrument, mods) very close to the meter sender.

There still would need to be either a code or something to signify one meter from another. Never meant that they used different frequencies for each house. But probably each meter maker uses a different one.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
no hidden meaning
OMG! LOL!

Should move this to the Jokes thread. But then there probably WOULD be a hidden meaning.

Here in Clearfield UT I see the truck drive down the street slowly. Maybe 20 MPH. They're taking readings via computer and telemetry. Serial numbers with each reading signify the different accounts.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
OMG! LOL!

Should move this to the Jokes thread. But then there probably WOULD be a hidden meaning.

Here in Clearfield UT I see the truck drive down the street slowly. Maybe 20 MPH. They're taking readings via computer and telemetry. Serial numbers with each reading signify the different accounts.
I worked for the Water Dept years ago when I was a wee lad of 17. I fixed meters, as well as repaired or replaced leaky lines. He said he had a creek nearby right? If so, you may be able to drill a well and pump it, if the city water is cheap, then your just downstream reading it, like one of the posts says they sell them depending on the size pipe will determine cost. A 2" pipe will produce much more if you're doing a large area.

kv

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I don't recall a creek being mentioned. A well; in my neighborhood, might be good if I want some jet fuel. I'm down hill from the AFB. Well water is HIGHLY discouraged.

As Killivolt may know, Utah has strict water rights. For the longest time it was illegal to collect rain water. Farmers supposedly had the rights to that. Then they recently changed the laws to where we could catch up to - I think it is - 2500 gallons max.

OK, here's what I found:
  • To collect, store, and place the captured precipitation to a beneficial use, a person must register the use with the Utah Division of Water Rights as detailed in 73-3-1.5.
  • A person may collect and store precipitation without registering in no more than two covered storage containers if neither covered container has a maximum storage capacity of greater than 100 gallons.
  • The total allowed storage capacity with registration is no more than 2,500 gallons. Collection and use are limited to the same parcel of land on which the water is captured and stored.
  • There is no charge for registration.
  • When you submit this form, your browser will be redirected to the Rainwater Harvesting Registration certificate, which you should print for your records.
Yeah. Water wars coming to your neighborhood soon.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Well water might be OK for irrigation, though, but possibly not. It would depend on how deep the well was. If you are not growing food then probably it is OK,

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Well water might be OK for irrigation, though, but possibly not. It would depend on how deep the well was. If you are not growing food then probably it is OK,
Would like to thank respondents in advance; I always learn here. With forums help I've stepped up from ignorant to dangerous, thank you. Problem- I am on City provided water, plans to drill well for AG usage. For now, I watch the meter closely to spot costly water leaks, excessive usage or waste. My city service 'bills' in 3,000 gallon increments, electronically read consistently on the 15th. Our water is not expensive per gallon, unless I use 3,010 gallons. Then my bill includes next increment and 'bill' doubles. 1st world issue but still, I bought the water, they keep it and sell it to me again, starting on the 16th.
IF I HAD A WAY TO: Tap into meter frequency, to read and send me notice on phone of incremental increase...An App...A flashing light on a pole at driveway by meter...I do not know what might be easiest, simple legal electronic solution. Right now I read it on the 10th and estimate. Additionally, A water pipe break in a field or paddock while out of town could be acknowledged and stopped by phone call to friend. 30 acre Property is AG related, if I could retain the gallons purchased in storage vessel I could use for other purposes. Would prevent expenditures elsewhere to generate cheap water. (ie: well, pump from creek to storage ect.) $$ and issues with these other solutions. Factoring these issues makes the city, ''pre-treated'' water even less expensive. Still hate to give it away...

Again thank you for pointing the way,
Scott @OMG Farm
All depends on the water table, my father dug a well 13 ft installed a pipe 2 foot radius, drilled holes in the base at ground water level, put in a pump, then used a fire hose to each area he farmed, it was approximately 1 acre.

kv

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Here we have 2 sources of water. Shallow wells: low yield and loaded with Iron and Sulfer used primarily for lawn watering. Maybe 20' feet deep and likely pumping up you and your neighbors' sewage water therefore not considered potable. Easy to tell which houses use it by the sprinkler stains on their siding from the Iron. Deep Wells: Floridian Aquifer which is a thick massive layer of extremely porous limestone/rotten coral which for me is 700' down to the top of it and the 4" well is drilled another 100' into it and cased in PVC due to high ground acidity that eats up iron casings. Water comes up to within 10' of the surface and submersible-pumps typically at 30-40' down. Hard water due to the limestone and still some iron and sulfur which are removed by water softening and aeration. Used to be Artesian which means outflows at ground level. In fact, at one time provided water up to the 2nd story of homes without pumping. Then they built a paper mill about 30 miles away and they quit flowing except during the mills yearly shutdown. Now being threatened by saltwater intrusion due to increased pumping due to increased population demands.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Then they built a paper mill about 30 miles away and they quit flowing except during the mills yearly shutdown. Now being threatened by saltwater intrusion due to increased pumping due to increased population demands.
And I bet they didn't care. Probably still don't. If it's making them money then they will continue to destroy our habitat.

Hey! Here's an idea: Lets terraform Mars. No water, no air, no decent soil for growing things. What a great project. Oh, wait. Earth has all these things. Why not preserve what we have instead of trying to MAKE a planet what we want when what we really want (not everyone) is big profit.

My neighborhood - the ground water is saturated with jet fuel from JP1 & JP2 spills.

Boy did THAT go WAY OFF TOPIC.

Back to the posed question: How to read the city meter wirelessly. You're just going to have to become friends with someone in the water district to find out the frequency and how they read the meters.

Or put your own meter as has been suggested.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Back to the posed question: How to read the city meter wirelessly. You're just going to have to become friends with someone in the water district to find out the frequency and how they read the meters.
Or just look online for the make and model of the meter to get specs.

But guess having a well to pump from after reaching the "magic" gallon amount really doesn't make sense to me. He has a well, pumping system and distribution system so why use city water at all??

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Or just look online for the make and model of the meter to get specs.

But guess having a well to pump from after reaching the "magic" gallon amount really doesn't make sense to me. He has a well, pumping system and distribution system so why use city water at all??
I think maybe it's about volume, did you see he has 30 acres? that's probably a lot of water to pump, depending on his location, like ours it's gravity fed, but a creek or culverts would deliver even more. Purchasing a house with water rights is a bargain if your intention is AG.

kv

geekknot

Joined Aug 5, 2016
The easiest and non-lazy thing to do would be for me to read the meter at consistent times. Life happens and meter reading doesn't. I was just thinking of a method to be alerted to "excessive usage for any reason", "double checking city reading", "maximizing my gallon per dollar".
Thought about the camera....but I still have to check it..could make it part of security feeds...Will check into Hunter industries counter.....What about a ''bluetooth'' Device on a meter/counter, rechargeable battery with solar charge send signal to my phone as I drive by meter 30 times a day. I could place it down stream of my city meter as close to house as possible. Sends signal every 500 gallons..?
My city meter does have redundant reading ability, analog counter like odometer and 2- clocklike dials, one large and one very small. If any water is flowing the little dial will show it. Interesting thought about charging battery with motion of dial or counter.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Interesting thought about charging battery with motion of dial or counter.
I have 2 gas wells on my property, they use those to keep the gas flow recorders working. When gas is flowing (unlike peoples ideas it isn't a constant flow from wells in my area, it only flows when pressure is correct for the main line.)