1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

water inspector

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Lj04, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Lj04

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    hey there..am a guy who has never been interested in computer stuff but it turns out that i have a project and it requires computer stuff. first i want is to ask if my project is possible to be created and i think you are the right people to ask.

So the project deals with digital meter reading in water. i want it to be for a company that supplies water in our town.so the project needs to have (a coordinate map location for each house, meter reading in real time, alert warning if water opened illegally if it is disconnected). so my question is, ''is it possible to create such?.....and if yes, i would really use your help''

2. Alec_t

Expert

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to AAC!
    It's certainly doable, but an undertaking with major difficulties and best left to professionals. Problems to overcome include getting meter readings back to a central monitoring station reliably and preventing or detecting tampering with the meters or bypassing them.
    A co-ordinate map would not be needed if each meter could transmit a unique ID code.

Lj04 likes this.
  3. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    i like the idea, and with this will it be able to detect if the consumer is disconnected due to debts then intends to open it illegally?

4. SamR

Mar 19, 2019
    Yes, that would be a simple flag in the computer application. However, such a meter is going to require electric power. Water meters typically are out at the street far from power so how are you going to power them? Battery? Water flow generated? Look into how the power companies do this with electric meters.

Lj04 likes this.
  5. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    okay us here each house a a meter located in the consumer's premises, so power i would say it is close. but looking at how power companies do their electric meters i like the idea and would like to look into it. so if you have any link that i can easily grab on please it would be helpful

6. SamR

Mar 19, 2019
  7. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    shortbus likes this.
  8. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    yes and each and every house has a meter

9. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    so for how what are the hardware resources do i need to buy and some other requirements needed for the project to commence?

10. SamR

Mar 19, 2019
    There is lots of consumer info out there but not much on the devices. I did a lot of metering industrially but living rural the only public metered utility is electric here.

11. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    so your suggestion is i first gather consumer's info then hardware devices will later. isn't it?

12. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    Have you searched on remote reading utility (or water) meters? Not only do they exist, they are in common use. How will your new "invention" compete? Seems like a business plan is your next step and/or another project.

shortbus likes this.
  13. SamR

Mar 19, 2019
    I would suggest doing some internet research and contact your local utilities and find out who they buy their meters from and who the smart meter vendors are. I did a lot of data acquisition and flow control from various types of flow meters in industrial process control but have no inkling about consumer utility meters other than that they are becoming the norm now.

14. dendad

Distinguished Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Also, if you were to build a meter, it will have to be certified if you are charging customers based on the readings. That certification process may cost a lot of $$$.
    As has been started above, there are a number of systems already to do all this. What will set your meter apart from them?
    Do you have the expertise and resources to make a system that can run reliably for many years?

15. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    am not actually looking for competition with what is out or start some kind of a business. am student by way and this is my final year project, my lecturer said it has to be practical that's why i came to ask for help here. so please you have to help out guys

16. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    certification process i think that won't be needed because its just my final year's project, and looking at resources and expertise am actually looking forward to your guidance and the rest of the team here.

17. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    ill surely do that, then get back to you

18. dendad

Distinguished Member

Feb 20, 2016
    A lot of meters use Zigbee radios, so that may be worth a look.

19. Lj04

Jul 25, 2019
    thanks ill surely do that then get back to you