Watch winder (Excelvan) not working

Rob-b30

Joined Feb 4, 2021
The first is the inside of the watch winder.
Second is the different settings the winder makes.
Third is the settings regulator with the 5 wires eminating from this switch.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It's just a simple DC motor then, why all the complicated circuit board? Can you just connect the motor to the 3V supply?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's just a simple DC motor then, why all the complicated circuit board?
Just my simple thinking here. Is it possible that the circuit board is similar to what is the circuit inside of an RC servo? I say that since that is how the winder is working, a partial rotation CW then CCW. And they in the winder just made a more robust, stronger drive train.

Rob-b30

Joined Feb 4, 2021
Just my simple thinking here. Is it possible that the circuit board is similar to what is the circuit inside of an RC servo? I say that since that is how the winder is working, a partial rotation CW then CCW. And they in the winder just made a more robust, stronger drive train.

So just going back several posts, what is the likel cause that it doesn't work in its normal mode?
Now i have a bit more info on this.

I believe it rotates at 4 to 5 min intervals and then stops for a given period say 30 mins then the other way etc.

And I would assume that the i/c chip has these timers within determining it's rotation intervals.

How would i test if the i/c is out-putting anything?

This is almost similar if not exactly the same as the one i am trying to repair.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The four transistors will do the driving of the motor in a Bridge formation, so the Base terminals will be fed from the chip via resistors, follow the tracks to the chip and measure them.

Rob-b30

Joined Feb 4, 2021
The four transistors will do the driving of the motor in a Bridge formation, so the Base terminals will be fed from the chip via resistors, follow the tracks to the chip and measure them.
Now you're losinglol. Where would I measure and what measurement am I looking for?

Sorry about all te questions but I did say I was a novice at this

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The Green circle has the transistors and the Blue are the 2K resistors that feed them from the chip. If you can follow the Resistors to the chip pins and test for DC voltage.

Polish_20210209_200318133.jpg

Last edited:

Rob-b30

Joined Feb 4, 2021
No. Check voltags at the motor, and on the chip pins.
Hi again,

Just had a quick check, but will do a bit more in depth one later.

I have set the multi voltage power supply to 5v, not sure if it is a 12v board or not so set to 5v to check the chip. (it came with 12v supply but the battery compartment takes only 2 x 1.5v c size).

Rob-b30

Joined Feb 4, 2021
Hi again,

Just had a quick check, but will do a bit more in depth one later.

I have set the multi voltage power supply to 5v, not sure if it is a 12v board or not so set to 5v to check the chip. (it came with 12v supply but the battery compartment takes only 2 x 1.5v c size).
Hi again all, i have done a drawing of something that resembles how i have tried to illustrate what i am doing.

I have put probes on bottom and top connections of resistor to bottom and top pins of chip and these are the results i found,

Could anyone tell me from this drawing why i cannot power the motor?
IMG_20210216_194811.jpg