Wanting to build for years! Led timed vibration circuit

Rebeltruck

Joined Feb 29, 2016
I have been trying to figure out how to build this circuit for years now. I'll admit I have had no clue what I'm doing. And not knowing the name of the components didn't help.

So I want to build a powerful single led circuit that uses a fast vibration sensor with a light sensor to not activate during daylight. When it triggers it stays on for 10 seconds and will stay on as long as it's activated. Also have an on and off switch.

Simple maybe? I just am mechanical not electrical in mind. Can anyone help? I literally just finally found the name of the sensor after a few years.

Rebeltruck

Joined Feb 29, 2016
1. stay on for 10 seconds
2. stay on as long as it's activated

I think your task description needs to be more clear.

ak

So if the vibration switch gets activated the led will stay illuminated for ten seconds if no other vibration is detected, however if let's say at 7 seconds the vibration switch gets activated again it basically resets and stays on for an another ten seconds. Does that help?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Yes. That's called a missing pulse detector or a retriggerable monostable multivibrator. The idea is that as long as activating events keep happening before the circuit times out, it never times out. When incoming events stop, the circuit runs its full time since the last event. What is the vibration sensor, what is the system power source, what do you mean by high power LED, etc.

ak

Rebeltruck

Joined Feb 29, 2016
Yes. That's called a missing pulse detector or a retriggerable monostable multivibrator. The idea is that as long as activating events keep happening before the circuit times out, it never times out. When incoming events stop, the circuit runs its full time since the last event. What is the vibration sensor, what is the system power source, what do you mean by high power LED, etc.

ak
So below is the details for the video ration switch I found but I'll be honest I don't know if that's the size or right voltage.

As far as led brightness 100 to 130 lumen is enough. Same brightness as my headlamp that uses 3 AAA batteries and that'd be perfect for this project

Thank you by the way for replying!!
TECHNICAL DETAILS-

Electrical characteristics:

• Maximum Voltage: 12V
  • Contact Resistance: <10 ohm
  • Contact Time: 2 ms
  • Maximum Current: 20mA
  • Insulation Resistance: >10M ohm
  • Temperature Range: -40 to 80ºC
  • Operating lifespan: 100,000 cycles
  • Diameter: 5mm/0.2"
  • Height (w/ pins): 25mm/1"
  • Height (w/o pins): 15mm/0.6"
  • Weight

Rebeltruck

Joined Feb 29, 2016
What is your skill set for assembling a circuit? Pc board soldering, perf board assembly, proto board...?
No experience with a circuit board but more then capable to solder. I did build a couple of small led circuits in a breadboard trying to figure this circuit out.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You can probably buy one at an alarm or security shop ready-made, they're call Viper sensors or Window detection ., but if you want to make it, you can use an op amp sensor and 555 timer similar to this..

http://www.electroschematics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/earthquake-detector.jpg

The buzzer sounds when activated, then times out, and keeps buzzing if repated vibrations are present,...R8,C2 set the time.

The photo cell can be connected to pin4 of the 555 timer to stop it from daylight.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
My take on the switch is that it is a pendulum type with one or more contacts in parallel centered around a central moveable rod. How many SW strikes defines an alarm, one may be considered noise, 5 or might be real
so the thought is to integrate the SW strikes. R1 & C1 might be in range of 5K & .1 uF. U1&2 are comparators.
5 strikes & U1 output goes low triggering one shot U3 for 10 sec. if it is dark enough so that U 4 is not conducting allowing U3 to operate. FET should be logic level or a NPN transistor. The LED might be a Phllips Lumiled surface mount LXH8-PW30, 2.8V, 700 mA max.
If strikes continue, the output of U2 stays low keeping 10 uF cap discharged delaying U3 from timing out after 10 sec. Just something to think about.Vibration Det. 00000.jpg

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Here is a simple version with medium performance. If you replace one 2N7002 with gates in a CD4093 you get much more crisp performance. What is the power source and what are the LED characteristics?

1 - vibration sensor
1 - LDR
1 - capacitor
2 - resistors
2 - 2N7002
1 - LED output.

ak
VibrationLED-2-c.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Here is the big version. R2 can be a combination of a fixed resistor and pot for sensitivity adjustment, and the values depend on the trip point resistance of the LDR. This design uses parts already in my library, so you do not need a 50 V cap, and Q1 needs to be a logic level MOSFET.

ak
VibrationLED-3-c.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Could use about 220 ohm's in series with SW-VIB to limit peak current to 20 mA per MFG specs.
2 W LED will draw around 500 mA for 120 lumens, color still unknown.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I was going to use a 5 V, 1 A wall-wart, OP's wishes ??
Might be informative to connect a power supply of about 5 V to SW - 300 ohm- LED in series. One to 2 ms flashes might be seen? LED small- 20 mA type.

Last edited:

Rebeltruck

Joined Feb 29, 2016
Wow!! Thank you everyone!! From what I can follow here there are quite a few good ideas, especially theadjustable sensitivity. I don't need a buzzer/alarm in it just purely the light. I wish I had taken a class in electronics cause I'm lost on about half of the technical names and voltages of components

Rebeltruck

Joined Feb 29, 2016
I was going to use a 5 V, 1 A wall-wart, OP's wishes ??
Might be informative to connect a power supply of about 5 V to SW - 300 ohm- LED in series. One to 2 ms flashes might be seen? LED small- 20 mA type.

I'm open to whatever voltage is necessary as long as it all can be housed in a similar size housing as my headlamp from black Diamond