Wanting to build DC generator to charge smartphone

Electronoob12

Joined Aug 13, 2017
As the title says I'm trying to build a generator to charge my phone. I wanted to use features of quick charge so I want motor to output around 9 volts and 1.5 amps at least. I haven't found the motor I want so I have decided to go with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-1-1-...133162&hash=item280254c244:g:5b8AAOSwcBhWT8ON I wanted to use
L7809CV voltage regulator. I would buy some gears to make the motor spin faster. I'm planning to spin it with my hands. Would something like this work? Would you guys change something out? I want to keep it pretty simple because I'm new to soldering and electronics in general but I figured this would be fun and useful to build.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A DC motor when used as a generator will not produce the rated voltage and current. Those are the ratings for what it will consume as a motor, not produce as a generator.

Producing over 10W at the phone may require 20W at the motor after the various inefficiencies. (You could get more efficiency from a different regulator, but there are always losses.) Not many people can comfortably maintain 20W with their arms unless you have a nice arrangement, like a bicycle crank with comfy handles. A human is only about 25% efficient, so you'll be burning about 80W while cranking. You'll be converting your groceries to electricity. Just sayin'.

You might investigate the commercial dynamos they sell for bicycles. The old standard "bottle" dynamo was a 6W drag on the bike. You can feel that, but it's not too bad. These days there are hubs with a dynamo built in and they're very slick.

Electronoob12

Joined Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I got inspiration from this video here
Looked like he just struggled with speed and he used no gears at all. Now granted he did much less power. I was thinking about dynamo but then again that's simply boring I would like to build something myself. Also my intention is not to generate electricity to save on my electricity bills, but to have something built by myself. Maybe I should simply step down on less powerful motor? I'm out of ideas now, your assistance is much appreciated!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Now you getting to something more readily achievable and that won't cause your arms to fall off! :)

Go for it, as you already noted, speed will be the only issue. Be careful not to exceed the maximum input voltage for your L7089, especially when not connected to a load (phone).
upload_2017-8-14_13-17-38.png