VTL5c3 optocoupler

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Hi

I’m building an optical guitar pedal compressor, based on the VTL5C3 optocoupler. Circuit below (VACT, lower right). The way a compressor works, it reduces the signal above a certain threshold. Below that signal level, it does nothing and passes it through. Is there a way to add an LED that turns on at that threshold level, off below?

2E166B92-9CEE-4DAE-8E50-B578358F4C39.jpeg

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009
IC1B seems to be driving the optocoupler's LED part (VACT_A). I imagine tapping into D4 junction D2 would give you the rectified audio signal at the trigger level. Feeding this voltage to possibly a transistor or comparator should give you an LED driver. This is presuming that putting an LED directly in parallel with VACT_A would interfere with its operation.
I hope this gives you an idea that you can explore.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
I recently built a Velleman VU meter and modified it for more gain by adding a 330k in series with Rv1 I wonder if I could add this circuit (below) to the above compressor circuit, in a similar way to as you suggest.
1680973334515.png1680973348330.png

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
VACT_A is current driven, not voltage driven.
Therefore the simplest way, which can also be easily reverted to its original configuration, is to use a LED in series with VACT_A. Probably the opamp has enough compliance to drive both.

If it affects the normal operation, then remove the extra LED and leave the circuit as before.

If this circuit were mine, probably I would install a 5 mA DC analog meter in series, and watch the needle dance with the music.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Therefore the simplest way, which can also be easily reverted to its original configuration, is to use a LED in series with VACT_A. Probably the opamp has enough compliance to drive both.

If it affects the normal operation, then remove the extra LED and leave the circuit as before.

If this circuit were mine, probably I would install a 5 mA DC analog meter in series, and watch the needle dance with the music.
That's a cool idea, very retro. I'd have to find a small one to fit in a pedal enclosure.

But the reason for the meter isn't for looks, it's to help set the compressor threshold. It's often hard to tell when a compressor kicks in by ear. There are a few sophisticated compressors that have LED reduction meters that are really nice to use. But from a DIY standpoint, I haven't found one... so I'm trying to figure it out myself.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
LEDs have a Vf of 1.8-4 volts. is there a way to measure whether the added LED affects anything? Whether the op amp can drive it or not?

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Take a look at this optical compressor, the LED brightness goes up/down with compression. How does it do that?

marker 0:50