volume drop off in one channel

Roque

Joined Sep 16, 2014
Hello Gurus,
got a Akai 1080db on my bench and just having some crazy issues one channel would drop out and when i would touch one of the pins on the selector switch it comes back alive ....was wondering if its missing some tiny voltage and when i touch the pin my body charge might me kicking it back in ... checked voltages on those pins jus a few .0 volts as good as nothing ...probably input voltage from AM and FM ...have tested the aux input and that works fine ...just confuse and not sure what i should be looking for ... have replaced some caps around the area ...any suggestions would be great

thank you
Regards
Roque

Roque

Joined Sep 16, 2014
Thank you Ian and Martin ..... done that a few times cleaned the switch contacts with deoxit what i later did notice that if i twisted or moved the entire amp chasis the sound came good so i resoldered the entire swtiching contacts on the pcb while pulling the board towards me and let my hot air gun run all over the switch contacts ...so far it has played well for almost three hours without any glitch will give it another test tomorrow hopefully the problem is no more

Thanks Gents for your info did point me in the right direction
cheers

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It would not be the first time that slightly dirty switch contacts caused a problem, nor the first time that resoldering was required. I recently repaired a stone-dead cassette recorder simply by cleaning the R/P switch and volume control. Sometimes it pay to check the easy things first.